Shadar-Kai (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The Shadar-Kai have a love of battle so great that they spend most of their time training and sparring, though there are sects of their social structure that act as merchants, smiths, and priests.
In point of fact, there are two types of Shadar-Kai, those that grew up in the city or came to one after leaving their original home, and those that live and stay in one of the many scattered enclaves in the Wastes of their native plane, the Shadowfell. Those that remain in the enclave are wild and more dependent on violence and pain to anchor themselves to their bodies so that they do not fade, though that is a part of who the Shadar-Kai are as a people.
They look human, with a few exceptions. Their skin is a dusky gray, a trait that being born on the Plane of Shadows has given them,unless they are born of another plane then they will take on a skin tone of the birth plane, and sometimes in extremes of emotion they will "bleed" shadows. Their eyes and their hair are both always of the purest extremes of color, no matter what color it is. Hair is usually the pure forms of natural hair colors, like blood red, snow white, and raven black, while the eyes can range through any color, though that color is always vibrant to non-Shadar-Kai.
Last and most noticable of all, Most Shadar-Kai are covered with a web of scars, either self-inflicted or gained in countless fights.
They can get along with most races, and have actually made trade partnerships with humans, elves, and halflings. Also, like most races, they do not get along with orcs, though for them it is because they do not see orcs as worthy opponents in battle. Unlike most races, they can identify with the Drow elves and even respect them. To the Shadar-Kai, the Drow are also born of chaos and darkness, and their love of battle makes them adversaries to be enjoyed. The Drow are almost always given the honor of the Shadar-Kai's full ability in combat.
Their chaotic nature and their birth on the Plane of Shadows also mean that they feel the need to anchor themselves to their bodies, which leads them to establish bonds with vicious and unpredictable creatures.
Chaotic Neutral is most common, though any chaotic is possible.
Mountains, deserts, and harsh wastelands are where they feel most comfortable. They choose to live in these places if they leave their native plane because these are the environments that will test them, almost as if the world itself is against them.
Frequently worship Tempus if they have any religion at all, though there are some that worship Beshaba or Shar.
Common, Elven, Draconian, and Shadar-Kai
Occasionally take names from humans or elves, but much more frequently take names of heroes of the Shadar-Kai or great warriors that they revere. Examples would be Drizzt, Ryder, and Ashok for the males, and Quelanna, Baenrae, and Olra for the females.
- +6 Strength -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma or +2 Wisdom: The Shadar-Kai are a hardy race that can smile and be liked my most friendly races, but they are quick to anger and do not always think things through.
- Outsider (Extraplanar, Chaotic): They are liked, but are known to be not of the races they befriend, and they are seen to be of another plane when they are emotional because of the shadows that flicker on their skin. They breathe but do not need to eat or sleep.
- Medium: no size related bonuses
- Shadar-Kai base land speed is 60 feet
- Racial Hit Dice: Shadar-Kai start with two levels of Outsider, granting them 2d8 HD, a Base Attack Bonus of +2, and saving throws of Fortitude +1, Reflex +1, and Will +2
- Racial Skills: Their Outsider levels grant Shadar-Kai skill points equal to 4 x (8 + Intelligence Modifier). Their skills are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Craft(armorsmithing)(Int), Craft(weaponsmithing)(Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Tumble (Dex)
- Racial Feats: Their Outsider levels grant them 2 Bonus Feats.
- Weapon Proficiencies: Shadar-Kai are automatically proficient with Exotic Weapons
- +3 Natural Armor
- Dark-Vision 90 feet
- Low-Light Vision
- Friend of War (Ex): The Shadar-Kai loves battle so much that he will continue to fight, even if he is on the verge of death. The Shadar-Kai is treated as having the Die Hard feat tree, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
- Blood Frenzy (Ex): 5/day, the Shadar-Kai can enter a berserk state as a free action. While in that state, he has another attack action for one round, and gain a +4 to attack rolls. The next round, he has a -1 on their attack roll and a -1 to AC from the strain of the extra exertion.
- Shadow Affinity (Su): +8 to Hide and Move Silently checks at night or when in shadows, and permanently while on the Shadowfell. +4 to attack rolls on the Shadowfell, and +4 Dodge bonus to AC while on the Shadowfell.
- Teleport: can use Greater Teleport at will, as the spell(Caster Level 14). The Shadar-Kai can only transport himself and his equipment, and is incorporeal for 1d4 rounds after the teleport. recharges for 1d4 rounds.
- Invisibility: can use Greater Invisibility at will, as the spell(Caster Level 6). Spell can be applied to any party member. Attacking negates the effect, rendering them visible again. recharges for 1d4 rounds.
- +4 Racial bonus on saves against poison
- +4 Racial bonus on saves to resist mind-affecting spells and fear
- +6 Racial bonus on Handle Animal checks when attempting one on Nightmares and Blink Dogs. The Shadar-Kai can befriend them with a Dice Roll of 15+.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Shadar-Kai, Draconic, Elven Bonus Languages: Drow, Drow Sign, Dwarven, Halfling.
- Favored Class: Any, though Fighter and Rogue are most common.
- Level Adjustment: +2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|45 years||62 years||83 years||+2d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 11"||+2d6||145 lb.||4 × (2d4) lb.|
|Female||5' 7"||+2d6||120 lb.||4 × (2d4) lb.|