Safir (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The Safir are a race of azure-blooded, elf-like beings who are naturally psionic. They live for around 400 years, and are heavily matriarchal — females outnumber males 5 to 1. One fascinating point of Safir biology is that they do not have a larynx, like most humanoids; instead they have a syrinx, the vocal organ found in birds, and a rich language to go with it. Safir history is kept both in paper archives and in the minds of a caste of eidetics called Lawspeakers, who are tasked with remembering and reciting telepathically over four million years of their race's past exploits.
 Physical Description
Safir have blue skin and an athletic build, with a pointed jaw and long, slender, pointed ears, and can have any hair or eye color except blue, with warm colors being more common than cool ones. There is about a 10-inch height difference between female and male, and males tend to be slenderer than females.
A Safir will usually have a small circle of friends and lovers, who maintain a limited mindlink with one another; thus, it is notably difficult to make friends with a Safir.
Most Safir are good or neutral, with a slight tendency towards chaos.
The safir are most comfortable living in temperate forests or foothills.
The safir are well-versed in Common, but their native language is Xylphika, an ancient language that can either be whispered or sung through a Safir's syrinx.
The method of divining a newborn Safir's name is unknown aside from the fact that it involves consuming mesmerwright silk.
 Racial Traits
- +2 Intelligence, +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma: Safir are intelligent and agile, but physically weak. They also find it difficult to connect with others outside of their circle.
- Humanoid (Psionic, Safir)
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Safir have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Safir base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A Safir can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Empathic (Su): Safir are natural empaths, constanly in touch with the emotions of others. They have a constant empathy effect, as the psionic power with the following changes. If a creature with 6 or higher INT dies within 20 ft. of a Safir, she must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + the creature's HD + the Safir's Cha mod) or be Staggered for 1 round. On a successful check, there is no penalty. A Safir may not turn off her empathy, though she does gain the +2 bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive to creatures within range as normal for the power.
- Hæmocyanin: Safir have hæmocyanin-based blood, which offers them a +4 racial bonus to Resist Natural Diseases and hæmotoxins. Creatures that attempt to drink a Safir's blood or eat her flesh must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Safir's HD + the eater's Con mod) or become Sickened and Repulsed for 1 minute. A Safir takes a -4 penalty to Fortitude saves against altitude sickness, and to Constitution checks to avoid suffocation.
- Keen Senses: Safir have a +2 racial bonus to Listen and Spot checks.
- Natural Telepath (Ps): A Safir that takes a psionic class may choose powers from the Telepath Psion list, regardless of her class. The power may not be of a higher level than her manifester level allows normally. In addition, a Safir may expend her psionic focus to manifest missive as a psi-like ability with a range of 100 ft.
- Naturally Psionic: A Safir gains wild talent as a bonus feat at 1st level; if she takes a psionic class at 1st level, she instead gains psionic talent.
- Teleportive Locomotion (Ps): By expending her psionic focus and 1 power point, a Safir may use dimension hop as a psi-like ability, using half her character level (minimum 1) as her manifester level. If she has levels in a manifesting class, she may also add dimension hop to her powers known for free.
- Trance (Ex): A Safir does not sleep; she instead enters a trance, six hours of which is equivalent to eight hours of restful sleep. When a Safir enters a trance, she must remain so entranced for a minimum of three hours.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Xylphika.
- Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Ignan, Draconic, and Terran.
- Favored Class: Psion
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
 Vital Statistics
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|390 years||400 years||410 years||+3d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5'4"||+1d12||100 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||5'9"||+2d12||120 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|