Safir (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The safir are a race of azure-blooded, naturally psionic, four-armed elflike beings. They live for around 450 years, and are heavily matriarchal — females outnumber males 5 to 1. One fascinating point of safir biology is that they do not have a larynx, like most humanoids; instead they have a syrinx, the vocal organ found in birds, and a rich language to go with it. Safir history is kept both in paper archives and in the minds of a caste of eidetics called Lawspeakers, who are tasked with remembering and reciting telepathically over four million years of their race's past exploits.
Safir have blue skin and an athletic build, with four arms, a pointed jaw and long, slender, pointed ears, and can have any hair or eye color, with warm colors being more common than cool ones. Female safir are on average about 15 inches taller than males, and males tend to be slenderer than females.
A safir will usually have a small circle of friends and lovers, who maintain a limited mindlink with one another; thus, it is notably difficult to make friends with a safir.
Most Safir are good or neutral, with a slight tendency towards chaos.
The safir are most comfortable living in temperate forests or foothills.
The native safir religion is known as the Sevenfold Path, and centres around six elder goddesses -- Kaena, Yukari, Maria, Sila, Astriþ, and Erina -- and the queen-goddess Amane.
The safir are well-versed in Common, but their native language is Xylphika, an ancient language that can either be whispered or sung through a Safir's syrinx.
The method of divining a newborn Safir's name is unknown aside from the fact that it involves consuming dreamweaver silk.
- +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution, -2 Strength
- Humanoid (Psionic, Safir)
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Safir have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Safir base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A Safir can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Empathic (Su): Safir are natural empaths, constanly in touch with the emotions of others. They have a constant empathy effect, as the psionic power with the following changes. If a creature with 6 or higher INT dies within 20 ft. of a Safir, she must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + the creature's HD + the Safir's Cha mod) or be Staggered for 1 round. On a successful check, there is no penalty. A Safir may not turn off her empathy.
- Hemocyanin: Safir have hemocyanin-based blood, which offers them a +4 racial bonus to Resist Natural Diseases and hemotoxins. Creatures that attempt to drink a safir's blood or bite into her flesh must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the safir's HD + Con mod) or become Nauseated for one round. Since hemocyanin is less efficient at carrying oxygen than hemoglobin, a safir takes a -4 penalty to Fortitude saves against altitude sickness, and to Constitution checks to avoid suffocation.
- Keen Senses: Safir have a +2 racial bonus to Listen and Spot checks.
- Multiple Arms: Safir have four arms, which allow them to wield twice as many implements at once as a human. Therefore, a safir gains one instance of extra arms as a racial feat at 1st level. However, a safir may only carry weapons and/or shields in two of her four hands, lest she begin swinging them into each other.
- Natural Telepath (Ps): A safir may, as a standard action, expend her psionic focus to manifest mindlink as a psi-like ability, using half her character level (minimum 1) as her manifester level. If she has levels in a manifesting class, she may also add mindlink to her powers known for free.
- Naturally Psionic: A Safir gains wild talent as a bonus feat at 1st level; if she takes a psionic class at 1st level, she instead gains psionic talent.
- Trance (Ex): A Safir does not sleep; she instead enters a trance, six hours of which is equivalent to eight hours of restful sleep. When a Safir enters a trance, she must remain so entranced for a minimum of three hours.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Xylphika.
- Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Ignan, Draconic, and Terran.
- Favored Class: Psion
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|390 years||415 years||440 years||+3d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4'9"||+1d10||110 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||5'7"||+1d20||130 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|