Rinwoods (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Rinwoods are blessed with an extended life period and many attributes of their creator races (Elves and Gnomes) with an innate affinity to resisting and using magic. Rinwoods were initially created to be scribes / slaves in universities of mages, although, never with an evil intent such as for experimentation.
Rinwoods are most commonly found in places of study. They are a studious lot most commonly found with a book in hand or in a lab for magical advancement. Though never outwardly prideful, they do feel superior in magical means to the other common races.
 Physical Description
Rinwoods are similar in height and weight to that of an elf, with coloration of a human when it comes to skin, eye, and hair color. Unless one asks, the physical description of a half-elf and rinwood are near impossible to tell apart.
Rinwoods live as another member of society and few of the short lived races even remember a day when rinwoods were not a natural part of the world. Though, amongst your longer lived races, rinwoods are treated similar to that of a member of a half-race of their creator races (Elves and Gnomes).
Typically, your average rinwood is calm and peaceful. Their initial creation was towards a Lawful Good creature, however, over time, the rinwoods have come to a more whimsical existence much like their elven creators. This has caused, over the many decades, a shift to Neutral Good. Though, like every race, there are your black sheep. Rinwoods are not restricted to Good-only alignments.
Rinwoods do not claim any specific area of their own, as they were initially created in universities. Though, most rinwoods prefer civilized lands, especially one with which magic and libraries are common.
Since rinwoods were created by other creations of the gods, rinwoods don't honor a creator god. They do, however, revere gods of knowledge and magic.
Rinwoods speak a language that has bonded them together since their creation. A combination of gnome and elven has brought about the creation of the rinwood language, referred to simply as rinwood. It uses the lettering of the elven language. As well, rinwoods also speak common. Their bonus languages are Elven, Gnome, and Draconic. Rinwoods commonly know the language of their creator races and the language found most commonly in ancient magical tomes, the very magic that formed them.
Rinwoods acquire names much like a human does. It is given at birth. Though no specific common names are found amongst rinwoods, names of elven or human origin are common. As for surnames (last names), rinwoods have no racial custom to them. If a rinwood uses a surname, it is merely to blend in more with society around them or it is a cultural aspect of a certain region.
 Racial Traits
- -2 Strength, +2 Intelligence: Rinwoods are weak creatures but make up for it in their superior thoughts.
- Humanoid (Rinwood): Rinwoods are creations of elves and gnomes, made to resemble their elven creators. Though not of elven blood, a new subtype is used.
- Medium: As a medium creature, rinwoods receive no size bonus or penalties.
- Rinwoods base land speed is 40 feet.
- Low-Light Vision (Ex): A rinwood can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
- +1 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects. Rinwoods have an innate resistance to magic spells. This stacks with his ability to resist enchantments.
- Spell-Like Ability: 1/day — light. Also, a rinwood with an Intelligence score of at least 12 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day — dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level is first (1st). The save DC is Intelligence-based.
- Automatic Languages: Rinwood and Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Gnome.
- Favored Class: Wizard.
 Vital Statistics
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|65 years||98 years||131 years||+1d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 3"||+2d4||80 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 3"||+2d4||75 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|