Raku-n (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Easy going, yet mischievous, one must always be a bit wary of Raku-n when they cross their path. Quick to pick a pocket, or a lock, Raku-n generally tend to 'bump into' people when walking through a town, making anywhere from miniscule to fairly large sums of gold quickly. Although this deters many from befriending them, anyone who is friends with one will be the first to say, that even though they steal, they are very reliable friends and comrades, risking themselves for their friends if it comes down to it.
Raku-n vary in height from 3' to around 4' their smaller height allowing them to be overlooked quite often by humans, and other larger slower creatures, which is typically their main source of income. Raku-n are furred, naturally having a 'bandit mask' on their facial fur, and have a very raccoon like appearance, a Raku-n child can pass itself off for a real raccoon when in a pinch so that it may attempt to flee. Raku-n legs are digitigrade, and their tails are almost identical to a raccoons, just larger. Eyes are usually brown although rarely they can be green. Fur color is typically dark grey, with black markings. A full grown adult can way anywhere from 60-95 lbs, there are no physical distinctions between a male and female, except during pregnancy.
Raku-n get along quite famously with Gnomes and Halflings, being able to relate to both with the love of joking and riddles, but are generally quite wary of the larger races (humans, Eladrin, Elves, Half elves, Half orcs etc.) and downright dislike Dragonborn, as the Dragonborn are always to serious and honorbound
Raku-n realize it is not there place in the world to make it one way or the other, and as such they are always neutral, depending on their upbringing they are either chaotic or lawful, or neither.
Generally well hidden in the tree tops, their villages are the perfect example of frugality and efficiency. Using only what they need and being sure to save any spare for later, Raku-n villages can survive off of amounts of food that other races would find unfathomable, relying heavily on preserved foods instead of fresher ones in order to achieve this efficiency. When offered pickled eggs or fried eggs a Raku-n will always take the pickled ones, so if he fills with food to spare he may take the rest with him. Raku-n villages are made entirely of materials they harvest from the trees they are hidden in, beds just being large piles of leaves, and the blankets being sewn from fibers made from bark. Each home in a Raku-n village has one window box stile garden in each window, allowing a house hold to be as self supporting as possible, with a 'farm' connected to each village, the farm is essentially an extremely large window box that the entire town takes care of and shares the spoils of, equally, fish are fairly uncommon in Raku-n villages, but sell in them higher than any other supply, as it is a delicacy to them that is jealously hoarded.
Oddly, of all the races and religions, Raku-n are fairly unceremonial with theirs. Worshipping Rarukara, god of Raku-n, nimbleness, and efficency. Tending to follow his teachings instead of worshiping him in a temple, each Raku-n carries a small trinket of some sort that represents Rarukara, be this a well used dagger, or some other recycled or well used item, praying for them can consist of many things, from a coin trick, to just being their normal frugally efficient selves.
Raku-n as a whole speak a language named the same as their race, consisting of chittering, and generally small words it is a very to the point language, allowing a fairly large amount of things to be said fairly quickly, the written language to most would appear to be chicken scratch but is similar to the spoken language in that it is not very beautiful but rather, very strait forward and to the point.
Names are assigned at birth, although a Raku-n may go by a nick name instead if he/she so chooses, generally nicknames are something referring to an overtly elaborate joke they pulled or riddle they asked.
- +4 Dexterity +2 Intelligence -2 Strength -2 Wisdom: Very nimble and cunning, Raku-n tend to be a bit less world wise, and weak.
- Humanoid (raccoon):
- Small: As small creatures, Raku-n gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks and a −4 penalty on grapple checks. Their lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
- Raku-n base land speed is 30 feet and also has a climb speed of 30 feet.
- Skills: Raku-n gain a racial bonus of +5 to Open Lock and Sleight of Hand, a +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks. a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks, and a +4 racial bonus on Listen, Search, Spot and Survival checks, a Raku-n can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. They can use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb checks.
- Low Light Vision: Raku-n Can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Dark Vision: Raku-n Can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Raku-n can function just fine with no light at all.
- Ooooh Shiny: Raku-n are naturally attracted to things that are shiny, giving them a +5 appraise of shiny things, like coins, polished metal, and the like. However, if a Raku-n sees such an object that is unnaturally shiny (such as polished metals), he must make a successful DC 15 Will save to avoid being captivated by it. On a failed save, the Raku-n will be completely focused on said object (treat as being Stunned). During combat, the Raku-n may make another Will save as a full-round action each round until he succeeds. Outside of combat, the Raku-n is captivated for one minute before he may make another will save. Only one will save will be needed, as the Raku-n comes back to his senses, he regains his composure.
- Natural concealment : Raku-n gain a natural +5 to hide and move silently
- Automatic Languages: Common, Raku-n. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnomish, Giant, Goblin, Half-Ling, Orc and Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|140 years||250 years||370 years||N/A years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3'0"||+2d4||60 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||3'0"||+2d4||60 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
Raku-n don't die from old age, they simply ascend when they become bored with life, this usually happens at around 2500 years of age. It may happen later, but as a base template, that is when a Raku-n ascends, they can still be killed in combat or by poison or illness.