Qu (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The Qus are a race of strange, swamp-dwelling, frog-like humanoids reputed for they huge appetites and cooking talent. Their greatest achievement is the Way of the Gourmand, which governs every aspects of their life.
Qus are peaceful, cooking loving beings. They have somewhat limited attention spans and wit, despite not being outright stupid, but won’t try to understand what is beyond their own limits. They are grounded in reality and won’t be impaired by the chaos around them or dramatic events.
Qus are tall, bulky humanoids toads with a pale, milky skin. Their soft, almost featureless body is covered by strong muscles and healthy fat. Their round belly occupies most of their body mass, their most powerful asset. Qus have bulbous heads and short, stumpy legs, which generally make them 6'5" tall. Their long, lanky arms hang to the sides of their body when left unattended. The Qu’s faces are commonly described as "a gross, frog face with a pair haunting eyes of red schleras and white irises. The skin around those form bright red crosses, not unlike a clown's face painting. They got a wound-like mouth going side to side, gifted with a tongue thicker than a man's arm." They cannot close their mouths, as their tongue is too big to be retracted, so they have a second pair of limps, back in inside their throats, which makes them look like they never move their lips in a discussion. They favor brightly coloured clothes and cook outfits, and usually weigh about 500 pounds, 600 lbs after dinner. They aren't sexually dimorphic. (One cannot tell the difference between a male and female Qu.)
The Qus are usually hermits, as few accept beings that have no qualms eating their neighboor to try a new taste. Despite how rarely such an event occured (Most humanoids bathe way too often to be tasty.), the only ones to quit their marshes are shunned by the humans. Good-Hearted as they are, the Qus never minded that behaviour and some achieved to become cooks for the greatest. Other races might consider them as dumb as orcs, but anyone who travel in their marshes without any bad intentions is sure to find a lifelong ally.
Qus are somewhat focused, loyal friends without regards to earthly laws. They are neutral to the Law/Chaos Axis but are much more inclined to help than to harm others.(Unless those are potential meals, which include some sentient beings!)
Qus dwell in marshes and bayous, adapted to the inhospitable wetlands. Their favorite kind of food, reptiles, are rife in these lands, and the lack of potential threats helps maintaining their hermitic lifestyles.
Qus have no concern for the gods of men, and follow the philosophical Way of the Gourmand. It teaches to try more and more flavours, so that the individual may gain power over the beasts they eat, as well as encouraging lonely ones to interact with the universe. Qu clerics that follow the way of the Gourmand as a chosen religion gain access to not only the Travel, Strength, Water and Hunger domains, but also proficiency with the Great Cleaver.
Qus speak a bastardised Common, always reffering to everyone to the Third Person, as well as Aquan.
Qus names always start with the prefix "Qu".
Examples: Quan, Quad, Quina, Quol, etc...
- +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Qus are tough beings but poor thinker and lame leaders.
- Monstrous Humanoids: Qus aren’t affected by Charm Person and other Humanoid-Effective spells.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Qus have no special bonuses of penalties due to their size.
- Qu base land speed is 20 feet.
- Wide Girth (Ex): The physical stature of Qus lets them function as if they were one size category larger when wrestling. Whenever a Qu is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Qu is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Qu is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Gourmand’s Assets (Ex): Qus have the Scent and Swallow Whole special abilities. They can only swallow a pinned opponent. Swallowed creatures must make a Fortitude save against a contact poison (DC: 10+½Qu’s Hit Dices+Con Bonus, damage sleep 2 hours) every round. If the swallowed creature resist the poison for a number of rounds equal to the Qu's Constitution bonus, or if it manage to deal slashing/piercing damage to the stomach, the Qu throw it up. If the swallowed creature fails to make its save, the stomach start crushing the victim, dealing damage equal to an unarmed strike (Or bite attack, if the Qu has one) every minute. The Qu becomes fatigued until it rests to digest its victim if it is as large as him (After Wide Girth).
- Great Lungs (Ex): Qus may hold their breath for 4 times their Constitution score.
- Strong Stomach (Ex): Qus gain a +4 to saves against ingested poisons and gain nourishment from everything they eat.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Aquan. Bonus Languages: Any non-secret.
- Favored Class: Cleric or Blue Mage
- Level Adjustment: +1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|30 years||55 years||75 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 8"||+2d6||400 lb.||× (2d6+8/5) lb.|
|Female||5' 8"||+2d6||400 lb.||× (2d6+8/5) lb.|