Proteus (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
 The Proteus
Normal proteum crystals are not sentient, but ones that did develop cognition named themselves the Proteus. However, the Proteus still feel a strong connection to non-intelligent crystals, and might not appreciate any abuse of it.
The Proteus are a newly emerging race. It has taken hundreds of millions of years for the crystals to form, and tens of thousands for them to mature. Once they are fully developed, they seek out life due to it's connections to the Weave. A Proteus crystal (a Protean) is extremely curious how organic creatures can even command power from it. At first, they are petrified of other races and creatures, and easily hide from anything. But from 7 or 10 years of observation of different cultures and magics, they imitate and eventually gain a personality of their own.
As it gets older, or rather, everything else gets older around it, it begins to think more like a dragon in the sense of the considerable amount of time it actually has.
 Physical Description
The Proteus are a race of single 1 oz. crystals that resonate with arcane energy. These crystals suspend themselves in a chest cavity of a roughly humanoid figure that they hold together with energy. Their body is normally made of mundane Crystals that are warped to emulate muscles and bones. A Proteus crystal more adept to topside society can animate a suit of armor around itself which can equally function as it's body.
A Protean will be able to relate most to the type of people they observed as they were learning to interact with society. Although, it is also much more likely to have watched races that have architecture and culture, as tribal civilizations aren't sophisticated enough to produce studied magic users.
The Proteus can be any alignment depending on what they have observed.
The Proteus were born out of the depths of the underdark, but are comfortable if they are on land.
The Proteus do not understand divine magic. They never see these gods that organic creatures constantly speak of, and find it hard to grasp why they put so much trust in them. Similarly, divine magic is foreign and can be scary to them. Though if a Protean grew up watching an order of paladins, or a temple of clerics, it may in fact adopt the god as it's own.
A Protean is more likely to worship the original Proteus that existed during the very beginnings of the planet. They have left many nigh indestructible structures behind that tell very little about what they were like. It's certain though that the original Proteus not only had god like power, but were very concerned for the crystals that are currently emerging.
The Proteus speak common, as it is the most common language they hear. However, they have an empathic bond with any creature with the Earth Subtype, and effectively know Terran. They are capable of speaking any other language, depending on if it was used where they were growing up.
The Proteus are actually very child like when they first leave the ground. They will wander for a year before finding a suitable culture to imprint to, and may even find a specific person, usually a sorcerer or wizard, to specifically study. A Protean will choose a name that will relate to that one person in some way, be it that persons wife, or a names the person likes, or perhaps the name of the person them self. This, incidentally, is also how gender is decided.
 Racial Traits
- −2 Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution; +2 to either Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma. The Protean's body is mundane wood and stone suspended and constructed in a manner to imitate a humanoid figure. Since it is not one solid mass, it is not as strong or as fortified as other creatures.
- Construct (Living Construct).
- Small Or Medium
- The Proteus' base land speed is 30 feet.
- Proteus Subtype (Ex): The Proteus have all of the features of a Living Construct except the following:
- The Protean's body is instinctual, and will always form around the crystal as long as the crystal is conscious. Since it is held by arcane forces, it is obviously weaker than a solid one. The body itself is mundane and rather expendable but, if the body takes damage, it will cause stress and strain to be put on the crystal. The body will fall apart if the crystal's HP drops below 0, and will become inert until recovers naturally, or is healed. When a Protean 'dies', the crystal itself becomes metal, and will remain that way forever unless resurrected.
- Proteus have low-light vision and darkvision 60ft.
- Proteus can heal damage naturally, but cannot receive benefit from any repair spell.
- Proteus need to sleep, and are vulnerable to sleep effects, fatigue, and exhaustion. However, they only require two hours of sleep a day, and are aware of their surroundings the whole time.
- Innate Arcana(Su): If the Protean chooses an arcane class other than wizard, they will always get bonus spells known with the main ability score. If they are a wizard, they get an effective +2 to Int for determining the number bonus spells they receive.
- Inherent Arcana(Sp): Regardless of class, the Protean learns cantrip spells as a sorcerer does, and can cast them at-will.
- Body Flux(Su): A Protean is proficient with all armors, because it may choose to inhabit a suit of armor instead of collecting their own materials for one. All armor conditions (check penalty, spell failure) still apply.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Terran. Bonus Languages: Any.
- Favored Class: Wizard, Sorcerer.
 Vital Statistics
|Middle Age1||Old1||Venerable1||Maximum Age|
|2000 years||4000 years||6500 years||+2d1000|
The Proteus actually have a half-life of 2000 years, and is projected that once it hits 'maximum age' it will be too small to remain conscious.
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight|
|Male||5' 0"||+2d8||1 oz.|
|Female||4' 10"||+2d6||1 oz.|