Orochi-bito (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Orochi tend to be very withdrawn from most races. They value cunning over brute strength. The favored pastime of orochi is to exchange riddles. They can be rather rude to those they deem as unintelligent.
Orochi are incredibly tall and slender, standing about 6 ½ feet tall to about 8 feet tall. Due to their slender, snake-like build they generally weigh very little, with males weighing about 75 lbs, and females only slightly less. They have a 3 foot long tail, and four arms. Their skin is covered in green scales. Most notable of all, is the bright, intimidating red eyes of the orochi. They have the flat head of a viper. A few orochi are born with hoods, similar to those of a cobra, and such orochi are outcast and considered vulgar. Orochi are considered an adult if they can pass their tribe’s tests, which are usually given at age 15. Orochi are said to not live past the age of 75.
The orochi-bito live deep within the heart of warm and tropical forests, where few have ever trekked. Because of their reclusive location choice, orochi have virtually no relations with anyone other than those within their tribe. Occasionally a kitsune may accidentally cross paths with orochi, but very few get the chance to tell their kin of the experience.
Orochi-bito have their own strict set of rules that govern their lives, and breaking these rules means being shunned. However, they care little for the ways and customs of other races. Orochi also expect the few visitors they have to know the ways of orochi-bito society and culture, and will punish those who don’t with death, a very hateful and unforgiving practice. Orochi tend towards more chaotic alignments.
Deep in the heart of the unexplored and impassable forests is where the orochi-bito make their home. They have free claim to this land, because no one else dare venture this far away from civilization. Anyone who approaches the lands the orochi claim are deemed trespassers, which – in the minds of the orochi – is punishable by imprisonment, and most likely death.
Orochi do not venerate the same deities as the rest of the world. Instead, Orochi revere a powerful, godlike spirit known as Myojin of Life's Web. Myojin is one of the five biggest and powerful kami but there is a kami spirit for virtually everything in our world. Orochi also pray the lesser spirits of the forests and of nature.
The language of the orochi-bito is made up of a collection of hisses, which differ by the inflection and duration of each one. The most common syllables are sa, se, shi, she, ro, chi, ko, ki, su, so and to.
The vast majority of orochi names are made up of three or four syllables, most likely the ones mentioned before.
- +4 Dexterity, +2 to Constitution, +2 to Wisdom, −4 Charisma: The orochi-bito's snake-like build allows for more free movement. They are also attuned to nature, however their reclusive nature and harsh society subtracts from their social skills.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian)
- Medium: As medium creatures, orochi-bito no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Orochi base land speed is 30ft: Orochi have a 20ft climb and swim speed.
- Natural Armor +1: The scales on an orochi's skin provide extra protection from most attacks.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Natural Weapons: An orochi is proficient with its bite, dealing 1d4 damage on a successful hit.
- Poison Bite: An orochi can choose to inject venom on a successful bite attack. The poison deals initial damage of 1d6 Dexterity, secondary damage paralysis with a save DC 11 + Constitution modifier. A orochi-bito produces sufficient venom for one venomous bite per day.
- Scent: An orochi can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.
- Multiple Limbs: Orochi have four arms, and may take the Multiweapon Fighting feat. They can wield four one-handed weapons, two two-handed weapons, two bows, or two double weapons at a time. This is NOT a bonus feat. Using two bows, two double weapons or two two-handed weapons is the same as fighting with two one handed weapons as a two armed creature.
- Racial Hit Dice: An orochi-bito begins play with 2 Monstrous Humanoid levels, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, +2 Base Attack Bonus, and base saving throws of Fortitude +0, Reflex +3, and Will +3.
- Racial Skills: An orochi-bito's humanoid levels give it skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier) × 5. Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Move Silently, and Swim.
- +2 racial bonus on Hide, Move Silently, and Survival checks. This bonus increases to +4 for Hide and Survival in a woodland environment.
- +8 racial bonus on Balance, Climb and Swim checks. An orochi can always take 10 on Climb and Swim checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Orochi. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Shaman;Warrior. A multiclass orochi’s shaman or warrior class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience penalty for multiclassing.
- Level Adjustment: +2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||53 years||70 years||+1d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 7"||+3d6||70lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||6' 5"||+3d6||65 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|