Norn (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The norn are a glory seeking hunter type of half giants who have the ability to shapeshift into a hybrid form in which a norn is still capable of wielding his weapons, all his other gear morph with him so when he changes back he will appear normal. A typical Norn appreciates a good ale, a grand story, a good hunt and all-round joy and celebration in norn style, which include brawling, drinking. storytelling and more brawling whilst drinking.
 Physical Description
Norn stand around 8 feet tall average, but when they shapeshift they can reach up to 9 feet tall. Norn weigh around 350 - 400 lb due to the amount of ale they consume. A norn is usually pale or light skinned with a lot of tattoos, though darker skinned norn may also occur in coastal areas. A Norn is recognized best by his tattoos and his love for fur clothing, engulfed in all sort of trophies of bone and tokens of worship to their chosen spirit of the wild.
The Norn have respect towards other great hunters. They think of everyone weak until that person achieves something great like barehandedly slaying a minotaur. The norn reside in snowy mountains and will let any race walk through unless they cause trouble. They even accept it if a near corrupted norn who follows the "evil spirit" dragon walks through town, though when he starts trouble the decision to shoot that person is made very swift.
Norn are great hunters, they have their honor, but there is no real government or code of life, therefor they are often mistaken as Chaotic Neutral. Norn may be of any alignment, though lawful aligned Norn are seen mostly outside of their natural habitat and when they are in control of something.
Norn mostly inhabit snowy mountains, though they prefer rich hunting grounds where minotaurs and other such big prey live. They have no problems adapting to other situations and when they are not in the mountains, they descend upon great port cities looking for epic adventure.
The Norn follow the spirits of the wild as listed below:
- Bear, the biggest and most followed spirit, resembling the strength of the norn.
- Raven, the wise spirit and related to the human Underworld, resembling wisdom and death.
- Wolf, the pack leader, resembling strength in numbers and leadership.
- Snow Leopard, the cunning, resembling stealth and assassination.
There are other smaller spirits, but they have recently been abandoned by the masses. The "new" spirit dragon or wurm is considered evil by the masses and followed by a group of norn called The Sons of Svanir, who eventually become corrupted by a mystical force turning them into hulking ice creatures.
The Norn get their names from their parents and their surnames are derived from their father's name (Olaf Olafsson meaning Olaf the son of Olaf). As a child they get taken along on hunts when they know the basics of the hunt, training them to become a great norn. A Norn may also have a title as a surname.
 Racial Traits
- +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom: Norn are tough brawlers with a love for strong ale.
- Monstrous Humanoid: Norn are too big to be considered humans and due to their shapeshift ability they are not considered giant.
- Medium, but considered large for grapple checks and weapons (this does NOT include armor)
- Norn base land speed is 30 feet.
- Hybrid Form: Norn may take a full action to shapeshift into a hybrid form until they go unconscious or choose to return to normal form or when a full day has passed.
- Armor Proficiency: Hide: Norn reside in cold areas and can craft their armors from the hides of their prey, therefor a norn of any class may wear hide armor.
- Snowborn: Norn ignore the effects of cold weather and the environmental effects of (high) mountains such as snow and ice. They also have perfect vision during a snowstorm where others would suffer from snowblind.
- Glory Hunter: +2 on to hit against creatures of Huge creatures or bigger.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Norn.
- Favored Class: Ranger, Fighter.
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Depending on which Spirit you choose:
- Bear: +2 Con. While in form +4 on Grapple
- Wolf: +2 Cha. While in form darkvision 30 ft.
- Raven: +2 Wis. While in form get fly 10 feet poor.
- Snow Leopard: +2 Dex. While in form gain scent ability.