Momonga (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
"Large black eyes stare you from over a twitching, whiskered nose. The creature's pointed ears flick about its squirrel-like head as it listens to its surroundings. A nervous twitch runs the length of the creature's tail as it seems to ponder whether you are friend or foe”.
A cautious race by nature, Momonga tend to approach new situations slowly until they can get a better sense of all involved. Momonga live by their natural instincts knowing that the eye can be fooled, but the inner senses will seldom lie. According to their recorded history arcane magic was mistrusted and misunderstood for many generations. It was not until the Momonga began to form alliances with the Elves and Halflings that share their wooded homes that they began to understand what arcane magic truly was.
Momonga make their homes deep within the forests of the world tending to the lands and the animals. A semi-nomadic race, Momonga travel about to ensure that no one area is over-harvested. As families grow larger, many younger adults will venture out to find other places to call home. Though it is uncommon, it is not unheard of for these adults to not settle down, instead taking to the life of an adventurer.
 Physical Description
Appearing as an anthropomorphic squirrel, Momonga are just a little taller than a Halfling. A flap of skin, known as the Patagia, runs along the length of a Momonga, connecting from their wrists to their ankles. By spreading their arms and legs out to the side, this flap may be used to glide if a Momonga jumps from high places (see below). This flap of skin makes it difficult for Momonga to wear traditional clothing and armor. Doing so eliminates the Momonga’s ability to use their Patagia, among other things (see below). Momonga have developed their own versions of many light armors that do not hinder them in this manner, just recently learning to create chainmail shirts that don’t interfere with their ability to glide.
Though a cautious race by nature, the Momonga are keenly aware of the benefits of alliances with other races. Most commonly the Momonga deal with the other races that they live alongside in the forests of the world. A Momonga is more likely to feel comfortable around Elves and Halflings than Humans and Half-Orcs. This deviation from their normally cautious behavior has, unfortunately, led to a sad end for more than a few Momonga.
Momonga tend toward Neutrality over Law or Chaos. Though Evil Momonga are not unheard of most are either Good or Neutral.
The Momonga claim no kingdom for their own, though they can be found in most large forests. Many larger Elven communities usually have a small number of Momonga living amongst them.
Most Momonga do not worship a specific god, choosing instead to revere the forces of nature and the wild directly. Those that do worship a god tend to worship Nature gods (like Elhonna or Obad-Hai in Grey Hawk, and Silvanus or Chauntea in the Forgotten Realms).
Momonga speak their own language which uses the Sylvan alphabet and Common.
Bonus Languages: Elven, Giant, Goblin, Halfling, and Sylvan. Momonga often learn to speak the languages of those that share their forest homes as well as their enemies.
Momonga have a given name and a family name. Traditionally the Momonga’s family name would precede their given name, but as the younger generations have taken to the adventuring life style this practice has become less and less common.
Male Names: Aki, Daiki, Eiji, Isamu, Isao, Katsu, Koji, Michi, Nao, and Yuji
Female Names: Aika, Aki, Chie, Cho, Eiko, Eri, Jun, Kei, Mai, Miki, Ran, Sora, and Yayoi
Family Names: Greatleaf, Longthorn, Moonsong, Silverleaf, and Winterwind
If a Momonga community grows too large, young adult Momonga will leave their homes to find new areas to settle to ensure that no one area is ever overburdened by the demands of the community. Though relatively uncommon, it is not unheard of for some of these young adults to take to the life of an adventurer instead of settling down. Since other races (especially humans) are expanding their territories more and more, Momonga are taking to this life style as much out of necessity as out of choice.
 Momonga Racial Traits
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma: Momonga are nimble creatures that have highly attuned natural instincts, but due to their size they are not as strong as most races and tend to be skittish and nervous around strangers.
- Small: As a small creature, a Momonga gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on hide checks, but they use smaller weapons than Medium creatures, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a medium character.
- Momonga base speed is 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: Momonga can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illuminations. They retain their ability to distinguish color and details under these conditions.
- Climb: Momonga have a climb speed of 30'. They also gain a +8 racial bonus to climb checks and may take 10 on climb checks even if distracted or being attacked.
- Glide: Momonga have flaps of skin that are attached underneath their arms, run along their ribcage, and attach at their ankles. This flap of skin allows them to glide at 10' a round with poor maneuverability. For every 10' traveled horizontally the Momonga drops 5'. Wearing standard clothing or armor (including shields with the exception of bucklers) of any type negates the Momonga's ability to glide. In favorable winds the Momonga will drop 5' for every 15' of horizontal movement. A Momonga gains a +5 racial bonus to jump checks.
- +2 racial bonus to Listen. Momonga have keen ears.
- +2 racial bonus to Spot. Momonga have excellent eyesight developed through generations of determining jump distances.
- Weapon Familiarity: Momonga treat the Momonga Windhatchet as a martial weapon instead of an Exotic Weapon.
- Favored Class: Druid
- LA +0
- Momonga Gear: Armor: The following require the light armor proficiency to be worn without penalty. Utility Harness, Battle Harness, Willow-wrap Armor
 Vital Statistics
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3’0”||+2d6||30 lb.||x1 lb.|
|Female||2’8”||+2d6||25 lb.||x1 lb|