Master of Improvision (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
Master of Improvision
|“||Don't have a weapon? That's where you're wrong mate, I always have a weapon..||”|
|—Haeleth Barva, Half-Drow Dread Pirate/Master of Improvision|
A master of Improvision sees the world as his weapon, any object can be potentially fatal in their hands, while never as good as actual magical weapons, the master of improvision sacrifices quality for versatility and quantity. From Brawling barfights who want an edge, to clever rogues who wish to trick their foes, even assasins who wish to remain undetected, Masters of improvision come from almost all walks of life.
Becoming a Master Of Improvision
Typically it is rogues who choose to persue the path of the Master of Improvision, for the versatility and freedom it brings. But others such as fighters, assassins, and swashbucklers can easily benefit from this class. Depending on if they want the abilities it brings or not
|Base Attack Bonus:||+5|
|Skills:||Survival (4 ranks), Sleight of hand (7 ranks),|
|Feats:||Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes|
|Special:||Practice fighting with nothing but improvised weapons for a period of 2 weeks.|
|1st||+1||+1||+0||+0||Improvision, Combat Trick|
|3rd||+2||+3||+2||+1||Manipulate Material, Combat Trick|
Class Skills (6 Skill points + Int modifier per level)
All of the following are class features of the Master of Improvision
- Improvision: At 1st level a master of Improvision takes no penalties from wielding improvised weapons
- Quick Thinking At 2nd level a Master of Improvision can pick up a light improvised weapon as a free action
- Manipulate material At 3rd level a master of improvision gets a number of Manipulations/day equal to his level in Master of Improvision + His Dex modifier. Manipulations allow The master to convert any improvised weapon into another damage type (slashing, Bludgeoning, Piercing) and it becomes masterwork. Manipulating an item is a move action
- Improved Improvision At 4th Level te master of improvision has learned secrets to using any object masterfully. Any Improvised weapon wielded is treated as +1, and any manipulated weapon is treated as +2. These bonuses do not cause the weapons to overcome damage reduction.
- Combat tricks At every odd level (1, 3,and 5)the master of improvision gains skills to aid them direct combat. Any of the following can be chossen once at each of the levels or the Mater of Improvision may instead take a bonus feat (as fighter).
Haphazard Defence - When using the Combat Expertise feat or Total defence action the Master of improvision may double the Defence bonus for that round, If the Master of Improvison is attacked they maust make a balance check DC = the attack roll of the attacker + 5, if they fail the Master of Improvision loses balance and falls prone.
In a tight spot - The Master of Improvision gains the Improved unarmed strike feat and can make Cheap shots when unarmed: dealing 1d4 extra non-lethal damage (1 extra for small 1d6 extra for large)
Crazy Luck - A number of times per day equal to their Cha modifier (minimum 1) the Master of improvision can gain one of the following feats for a number of rounds equal to their Base Attack Bonus, even if they do not meet the requirements: Deflect arrows, Weapon finesse, Any Weapon Proficiency(even exotic), Weapon Focus(any), Improved Critical(any), Spring attack, Improved trip, Improved disarm, Dodge.
Uncanny Skills - A Master of Improvision with this trick can, once per day per Class level, add a +5 insight bonus to any skill for 10 rounds.
Find the weak Spot - a Master of Improvision with this trick can see around their opponents defences, after studying one foe for a whole round the Master of Improvision can make all attacks for for one round as touch attacks.
Find the Lapse - A Master of Improvision with this trick gains the improved feint feat and can study a foe for one round to gain a +5 insight bonus to bluff checks used to feint against that one foe for the remainder of the encounter. (this bonus stacks with Uncanny skills)
Ex-Masters of Improvision
If a master of improvision becomes lawful he can no longer gain levels as Master of improvision but retains all class features previously gained
Playing a Master of Improvison
Combat: Masters of Improvision's strengths lie in their uncanny unpredictability, that and being able to pull off (through a mixture of incredible skill and dumb luck) feats in combat unseen in all but the most well trained fighter on the fly. The best situation for a master of improvision is one where not only is their opponent not expecting a weapon but also a place where plenty of items (Chairs, tables, beer mugs, fire pokers, and maybe, if very desperate, a sword or axe). Flexibility is the Master's greatest strength and one that must be relied upon to succeed.
Masters of Improvision in the World
|“||Well sir I can't quite remember how it happened, one second I was in a heated arguement, the next the entire bar was torn up. All i can say is that those guys shouldn't have brought fists to a chair-fight, I suppose they must be the ones who can pay the bill for those broken tables, seeing as it was their heads that broke em.||”|
|—Orin the grinning rogue, Half-orc Master of improvision|
Master of Improvision Lore
Masters in the Game