Librarian (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
"Read, learn and question everything."
Some knowledge may aid you in conversation while some may be of use in a fight.
Making a librarian
The librarian is an arcane spell caster that uses his intelligence for spell casting. He uses a spell book just like a wizard but gains less spells per day at first and balances that later. Due to his vast knowledge he can adept to almost any situation. But then again it is better to know how to avoid a fight.
Abilities: Intelligence is the most important ability, but it does not hurt to have some constitution and dexterity.
Races: Any humanoid race that can learn to read.
Alignment: Usually neutral.
Starting Gold: 3d4 x 10 gp.
Starting Age: Moderate
|Saving Throws||Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+2||Archive, Scribe scroll,||2||0||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|4th||+2||+1||+1||+4||Research first circle||3||2||1||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|5th||+2||+1||+1||+4||Knowledge to skill||3||3||2||0||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|7th||+3||+2||+2||+5||Research first circle||4||3||3||2||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|8th||+4||+2||+2||+6||Knowledge to skill||4||4||3||2||1||—||—||—||—||—|
|10th||+5||+3||+3||+7||Research second circle||5||4||4||3||2||1||—||—||—||—|
|11th||+5||+3||+3||+7||Knowledge to skill||5||4||4||3||3||2||0||—||—||—|
|13th||+6/1||+4||+4||+8||Research second circle||5||5||4||4||3||3||2||0||—||—|
|14th||+7/2||+4||+4||+9||Knowledge to skill||5||5||5||4||4||3||2||1||—||—|
|16th||+8/3||+5||+5||+10||Research third circle||6||5||5||5||4||4||3||2||1||—|
|17th||+8/3||+5||+5||+10||Knowledge to skill||6||6||5||5||4||4||3||3||2||0|
|19th||+9/4||+6||+6||+11||Research third circle||6||6||6||5||5||4||4||3||3||3|
|20th||+10/5||+6||+6||+12||Knowledge to skill||6||6||6||6||5||5||4||4||4||4|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Librarian begins play knowing how to use all simple weapons but he does not gain proficiency with any armor or shield. Like most of the arcane casters he suffers penalties while casting spells and wearing armor or carrying a shield.
Spells: Librarian casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. His base daily allotment is given in the Table. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high intelligence modifier . A librarian must get a good night sleep (8 hours) and spend 1 hour memorizing his spells. He can then cast any of the spells on his list. A librarian can also add spells to his list. He must seek out and collect new spells much as a wizard does(see Adding Spells to a Wizard's Spell book on page 178 of the Player's Handbook).
Just like a wizard, to learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the librarian must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a librarian’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the librarian’s Intelligence modifier.
A librarian begins play with a spell book containing all 0-level arcane spells and two plus intelligence modifier 1st-level arcane spells of the player's choice. At each new class level, the librarian gains two plus intelligence modifier of new arcane spells. These can be of any spell level that the librarian can cast (based on his new librarian level).
Archive(Ex): Librarian spends his whole life learning new things and his devotion lets him add his class level to all his knowledge checks. However when librarian chooses a new class or a prestige class he does not gain that classes level as a bonus to his archive unless the class has the same feature.
Scribe Scroll: Gain scribe scroll as a bonus feat, but it takes him one day for every 2000 gold instead of a normal one day for every 1000 gold to scribe a scroll. Due to his continuous research the librarian is able to finish his scrolls twice as fast. But he still has the same law for creating one when it comes to other things. The base price of a scroll is its spell level × its caster level × 25 gp. To scribe a scroll, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price.
Preserving knowledge(Sp): Starting 2nd level Librarians never ending thirst for knowledge gives him understanding needed for protecting books and other writings. He gains the ability to use Amanuensis and Mending spells a number of times per day equal to his intelligence modifier plus one. Cast as a caster level equal to his class level.
Researching secret circles: There are three secret circles that a librarian can research. At levels four and seven he can research the first circle. His knowledge expends more and at levels ten and thirteen he learns secrets from the second circle. At levels sixteen and nineteen librarian unlocks unique secrets of the third circle. Each time this feat is gained librarian may pick one from any of the five, but never the same twice.
Research first circle:
- +1 HP per hit dice: Gain one hit point for every hit dice you have. (also counts for new hit dice gained)
- +2 Insight to initiative: You learn to react faster and gain +2 to your initiative.
- +2 Natural armor: Gain +2 natural armor or your existing natural armor improves by +2
- +2 Saving trow: Gain +2 on a saving trow of your choice.
- +10 Feet speed increase: Your base land speed increases by 10 feet. This does not give increased speed for other types of movement.
Research second circle:
- Arcane sight: Allows you to see magical auras and their power within 120 feet of you.
- Discern lies: As long as the librarian concentrates on his target he can sense if he is not telling the truth.
- Fearless: You are immune to fear effects, magical or otherwise.
- Self sustaining: You no longer need to sleep, breathe, eat or drink. But you may do so if you wish.
- Telepathy: Gain the ability to communicate telepathically with any non mindless creature within 10 feet per character level.
Research third circle:
- Ability Increase: Gain +2 on one ability score of your choice.
- Arcane eye: Same as the spell. Usable a number of times per day equal to your intelligence modifier.
- Plane Shift: Same as the spell. Usable once per day.
- Teleport: Same as the spell. Usable a number of times per day equal to your intelligence modifier.
- True seeing: See all things as they actually are. You gain active benefit of the True seeing spell.
Knowledge to skill: Learning pays off as librarian gains new levels. At levels five, eight, eleven, fourteen, seventeen and twenty the librarian can choose any skill and gain two ranks in it. The chosen skill becomes his class skill. He must take a different skill each time he gains this feat.
Playing a Librarian
Religion: They can believe in any deity or none but most follow Oghma The Lord of Knowledge.
Races: Librarians can be of any humanoid race that is able to read. Most librarians are found among humans and elves.
Role: Their job is to know everything and to put that knowledge to good use whether it is for communication or combat.
Combat: All librarians are not the same as they can specialize in different areas and research different powers. Their quality to adapt is what makes them great for just about any situation. They make good use of their high intelligence and knowledge and cast arcane spells.
Advancement: Librarians benefit most by remaining librarians for their entire career.
Librarians in the World
Daily Life: The younger librarians with no name to back them up usually roam the world in search for knowledge perfecting themselves on the way while the older ones tend to settle down in places that have excess to lots of knowledge.
Organizations: Many larger cities have librarians living behind their walls. But since knowledge can be found everywhere most librarians are scattered around the world and even around the planes.
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (local) can research librarian to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DC.
|10||Librarians devote their entire lives to learning and they also keep the knowledge from getting lost.|
|15||Librarians can cast arcane spells just like wizards but mostly use their powers to restore old tomes.|
|20||Librarians are highly adaptable people that can evolve themselves through knowledge.|
|25||Librarians posses many hidden talents and knowledge and very little can stay hidden for long.|
|30+||Character learns something about a specific librarian.|
|23rd||Research Ancient Circle|
|26th||Research Ancient Circle|
|29th||Research Ancient Circle|
4 + Int modifier skill points per level.
Spells: The librarian’s caster level is equal to his class level. The librarian’s number of spells per day does not increase after 20th level. Each time the librarian achieves a new level, he or she learns two plus intelligence modifier of new spells of any spell levels that he or she can cast (according to his or her new level).
Archive: Librarian continues to add his class level to all his knowledge checks. Like before, when librarian chooses a new class or a prestige class he does not gain that classes level as a bonus to his archive unless the class has the same feature.
Research Ancient Circle: The epic librarian learns secrets from an ancient circle every three levels after 20th.
- Accelerated Metabolism: Librarian regenerates his lost hit points every turn at the rate of five plus his constitution modifier. He can also use this power to regrow lost portions of his body and to reattach severed limbs or body parts. Losing head or dropping bellow minus nine still results in death. (this ability cannot be surpassed)
- Ageless: Librarian no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken remain in place. Bonuses still count, and he can never die of old age.
- Knowledge Of The Wave: Librarian understands the flow of magic like it is a part of him. He can spontaneously apply any Metamagic feat to any spell he can cast and spell slot used for the spell stays the same level. This can be used a number of times per day equal to librarians intelligence modifier plus one.
- Planes Walker: Librarians whole being adapts so it can continue the search for knowledge. His alignment counts as being the one native to the plane he is on but in truth it stays the same. He is also immune to natural occurrences of the plane. Librarian also gains 20 energy resistance to Acid, Cold, Electricity and Fire. (this energy resistance works always)
- Spell Barrier: Librarian gains spell resistance equal to his character hit dice plus ten. He also gains the ability to absorb all spells from level zero to level two (0,1,2) cast on him with no harm, but not the spells he casts himself. Spells absorbed in this way can be used by the librarian within one hour per his character hit dice. Unused absorbed spells fade away if they are not used within the time limit.
|“||I read you like an open book.||”|