Kyojin (3.5e OGL Race)
From D&D Wiki
|This material is published under the OGL|
Kyojin are a cross between humans and giant spirits or oni. They are similar to humans in many ways, though they are taller and egocentric by nature. Kyojin come from deserts, volcanoes, and other places of high temperatures.
Kyojin come in all flavors. However, they share a general tendency toward selfishness and egocentricity.
Kyojin are very similar in appearance to humans. Though, they are much taller and either very skinny or extremely stout.
Kyojin associate with other humanoids very well. They like to be feared (or thanked) for what they do by the other races.
Most kyojin are dishonorable, but honorable kyojin also exist.
Kyojin live in deserts, volcanoes, and other places of high temperatures, but many of them are also settled in human lands.
Kyojin usually revere the spirits of nature.
Kyojin speak Common. Those with higher than average intelligence often learn Giant.
Kyojin have a childhood name and a given name, the latter usually bestowed by friends or by the community in which the kyojin originally grew up. Most kyojin names reflect some aspect of the land that the kyojin inhabit, though names related to the oni and spirit ancestors are also common.
- Male Given Names: Ox, Wang, Sandking, Magmoor, Akuma, Oyama, Kazan.
- Female Given Names: Oasis, Sandrose, Cloud, Hanabi.
Many kyojin adventure to find better places to live, gain money and recognition.
Kyojin Racial Traits
- Stats: +1 Strength, +1 Constitution, –2 Dexterity: Kyojin are tough and strong, but not too nimble.
- Giant: Kyojin are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, kyojin have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Kyojin base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A kyojin can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Fire Acclimated: Kyojin have a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against all fire spells and effects. Kyojin are accustomed to enduring high temperatures.
- Powerful Build: The physical stature of kyojin lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.
- Whenever a kyojin is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the kyojin is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.
- A kyojin is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A kyojin can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty, and a kyojin’s unarmed strike is one category larger than of a medium character. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of techniques, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Naturally ki user: Kyojin gain 2 bonus ki points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to perform techniques unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a ki user class. See the Book of Ki
- Tech-Like Ability: 1/day—daichi hasai. Performer level is equal to 1/2 Hit Dice (minimum 1st). The save DC is Charisma-based. See the Book of Ki
- Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Giant, Spirit Tongue, Shadowlands.
- Favored Class: Monk, Book of Ki.
- Level Adjustment: +1.