Kitsune (Monstrous Humanoid)(3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Stories depict them as intelligent beings and as possessing magical abilities that increase with their age and wisdom. Foremost among these is the ability to assume human form. While some folktales speak of kitsune employing this ability to trick others—as foxes in folklore often do—other stories portray them as faithful guardians, friends, lovers, and wives.
Foxes and human beings lived close together in ancient Japan; this companionship gave rise to legends about the creatures. Kitsune have become closely associated with Inari, a Shinto kami or spirit, and serve as its messengers. This role has reinforced the fox's supernatural significance. The more tails a kitsune has—they may have as many as nine—the older, wiser, and more powerful it is. Because of their potential power and influence, some people make offerings to them, considering them to be a deity.
Kitsune tend to live in small units, usually only consisting of their partner and any children not yet old enough to fend for themselves. Being flighty in nature, they are often prone to wander and explore, sometimes leading them to seek more inhabited locations early on, though they can quickly feel overwhelmed in towns and cities.
 Physical Description
Kitsune, though resembling elves at first glance, are usually more hairy than a human or elf when pure-blooded. Their hair is usually shades of red and brown, with albinos having silvery hair. They are roughly the size of an elf, though they tend to be shorter, rather than taller than the average elf. Their skin color varies from a light tan to a darker tan color, rarely being pale or dark-skinned. Their eyes can be any color of that of an elf or human, though they are rarely blue or red. For Kitsune, green eyes are considered very beautiful though they occur about as often as brown eyes and hazel.
Kitsune are much lighter than their size would appear, with hollowed, yet strong, bones allowing them to move gracefully and with great agility. Though they otherwise appear to be elf-like, Kitsune have ears that are located nearer to the top of their head similar to a foxes and bear a similar shape, though they are often hidden by hair which is kept longer for such purposes. A Kitsune grows tails, almost supernaturally fast, with more tails grown based on its age at equal intervals, having up to nine tails total. These tails grow to full length in approximately one week, and can be regenerated if lost in approximately two weeks. Despite this, the Kitsune highly value their tails, so much so that they may become aggressive against anyone who intends to harm or even touch their tails without permission. A Kitsune can hide its ears and tails through shape-shifting as a natural reflex to encountering other humanoid races, with the opposing character needing an additional +10 to spot and a +5 to search in order to noticing the Kitsune's tails and ears.
Becoming experts at shape-shifting as they mature, a Kitsune may occasionally form relations with other humanoid races, often themselves being mistaken for a humanoid race. Their animal heritage, being more spirit-based rather than animal-based, allows them to breed
Kitsune tend to be chaotic more often than lawful, preferring to exist freely in the woods and away from large population centers. Kitsune can be friendly tricksters, occasionally helping a lost wandering person find their way out of the woods. They can, however, also be vengeful spirits, taking pleasure in the fright and suffering of those they come across.
Kitsune prefer to live in the woods, often in mountainous regions to avoid common contact with other intelligent species. Despite this, Kitsune often live near enough small villages to have contact if they so choose, whether to form friendships, relationships, or to harass, depending on the intentions of the individual Kitsune.
Kitsune can speak common, as well as the local language of the nearest village of intelligent humanoids. They also speak their own language of Kitsunese which, when spoken, is similar enough to that of the Hengeyokai to be roughly understood both ways, however their written languages are distinctly different.
Names are given after birth, usually within the first month of life. Names are often based on the child's personality, though some names are passed down through the family lineage or based on those of the culture of nearby villages. The names, when spoken, are usually a flowing sound and short in length.
 Racial Traits
- +2 Dexterity, +1 Wisdom, +1 Intelligence, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution:
- Racial Bonuses: +2 to Listen, Spot, Bluff, and Disguise
- Monstrous Humanoid:Shapechanger
- Medium size
- Kitsune base land speed is 40 feet; while in Fox-form, Kitsune base land speed is 50 feet.
- Darkvision: A Kitsune can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
- Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d6)
- Weapon Proficiency: A Kitsune is automatically proficient with all simple weapons.
- Shapechanger: Kitsune are shapechangers, not humanoids. As such, they are immune to spells that specifically target humanoids (including charm person and hold person) but they are susceptible to any spells that target shapechangers.
- Fox Form (Su): A Kitsune can assume the shape of Medium-size, multi-tailed fox (as the ability Change Shape). In humanoid form, the doppelganger loses its natural attacks. A Kitsune can remain in its humanoid form until it chooses to switch to its Fox Form. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but a kitsune reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form.
- While in Fox Form, the Kitsune's weapons and armor transform to become part of it. Despite this, the Kitsune can have a separate set of armor in its Fox Form that transforms into its body when changing back (though nothing heavier than light armor, and only if proficient in its natural form). This armor must be something that would fit a riding dog.
- Spell-Like Ability:
- Fox Fire: 1/day per level — Kitsune can produce the effects dancing lights at will, as the spell (caster level 2nd). Kitsune can activate this ability as a standard action: Gaining the ability to produce foxfire with their tales at a young age, Kitsune are masters at manipulating it and using it to trick their enemies. While in their "Fox Form", Kitsune can cast dancing lights at will as a standard action instead of a full-round action.
. Caster level is . The save DC is -based.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Kitsunese, Hengeyokai (spoken only)
- Favored Class: SRD:Rogue, Ninja, Scout, or SRD:Sorcerer
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Class Level (ECL): 1
 Vital Statistics
|50 years||+1d100||+3d100||+5d100 -->|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|500 years||800 years||1000 years||∞ years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4'||+2d6"||70 lb.||+3d10 lb.|
|Female||3' 10"||+2d6"||60 lb.||+3d10 lb.|