Karnins (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Quick to anger but not always irrational, Karnins are a race touched by the element of fire.
Karnins are temperamental and extremely isolationist. They absolutely hate it when people try to stick their nose in their business and any unannounced visitor to Karnin is likely to be sent running with a few flaming arrows or (failing that) crisp-fried by a barrage of fireballs. As a consequence, Karnins take a long time to give someone their trust and make friends (even by the standards of Eles-Perdna). Karnins are not afraid to say what is on their minds, which may not always be what the listeners wanted to hear. However, they are not truly malevolent... they are just best left alone. A person who gets to know a Karnin will find that they are actually very deep thinkers and will outsmart almost anyone else.
Of all races, the Karnins are most attuned to their own element, which reflects in their appearance. Their hair is almost always red or orange and flames can spontaniously flare in them. Their eyes look like glowing coals. They stand about 5 to 6 feet tall, with the males being taller and heavier than the females. Their body surface is uncomfortably warm to the touch, by the standards of other races.
- +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +2 Charisma:
- Outsider (Native, Fire)
- Karnin base land speed is 30 feet.
- Weapon Proficiency: Karnins are automatically proficient with the scimitar and the falchion.
- Hand of Fire (Su): Karnins can set their hands on fire at will. Their hands provide illumination as a torch, add 1d4 fire damage to their ]unarmed attacks and can do everything that would be expected from a normal torch.
- Body of Fire (Su): Karnins can let smaller flames wreathe from their entire body. Any opponent in a grapple takes 1d6 fire damage per round on the Karnin's turn.
- Immunities: Karnins are Immune to fire damage.
- Vulnerability to cold.
- Fire Sustenance (Ex): Karnins do not need to eat or drink. Instead, they must be surrounded by fire for at least an hour per day.
- Flaming Edge (Ex): Karnins add their Intelligence modifier to the hit point damage dealt by any fire spell they cast. The damage is only added once, even if the spell produces multiple missiles (such as "scorching ray")
- -2 racial modifier to Diplomacy and Hide checks.
- +2 racial modifier to Intimidate, Concentration, Spot and Listen checks
- Spell-like abilities: A Karnin with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of at least 10 gains spell-like abilities, depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table below. The abilities are cumulative and usable once per day, unless otherwise noted. Caster level equals the Karnin's HD and the save DC is Intelligence based.
|1-2||Burst of Fire (ray of frost with fire damage), burning hands|
|3-4||ray of flame, faerie fire|
|5-6||burning hands 3/day (replaces previous),scorching ray|
|7-8||Burst of Fire 3/day (replaces previous), fireball, flame arrow|
|9-10||Fire Wings, resist energy 3/day|
|11-12||wall of fire, Explosive Cascade|
|13-14||greater fireburst, cone of fire (cone of cold with fire damage)|
|15-16||fire spiders, brilliant blade|
|17-18||summon monster VIII(Greater Fire Elemental)|
- Automatic Languages: Ancient Animean, Karnin, Common. Bonus Languages: Izayn, Sirilian.
- Favored Class: Sorcerer or Warmage
- Level Adjustment: +2
Some spells in the spell-like abilities are derived from the Spell Compendium.
All the races of Eles-Perdna are part of a homebrewed campaign. However, they can be easily adapted to any setting. All you need is one or more planes with strong elemental traits (such as elemental planes or the abyss) and have some adapted humanoids live there.