Half-Merfolk (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
|A "race's compendium" race created by|
|Cli' San Aquanova|
Born of the union of a Human and a Merfolk, Half-Merfolk (also called "Mertouched") are very rare. They inherit their Human parent's versatility (and adventure-lust), and their Merfolk parent's aquatic traits and playful personality.
Half-Merfolk possess the playful personalities of their Merfolk parents, love pranks, and are rather mischievious. Just like Merfolk, their jokes may be somewhat cruel, but they are not an evil people. In fact, Half-Merfolk are a very loving race indeed to those they accept. They also share their parent's love of the sea. They like to play with aquatic creatures, and relish sunning themselves on rocks with their kind. Jewelry from the sea is held dear, as well. If pushed into battle, Half-Merfolk are capable warriors. They prefer to use weapons of true Merfolk make, such as tridents, spears, nets, crossbows, and harpoons. Sharkskin armor is also used.
Half-Merfolk have pale, slender, beautiful bodies (inherited by their Merfolk lineage), pointy fey-like ears, and slightly webbed toes. While they are thin, their bodies have powerful muscles that allow them to swim gracefully and quickly. Their hair can be any color (though their Merfolk parent's hair color is usually what color theirs is), with shades of blue, green, copper, and dark blonde being common. Females usually have beautiful long hair, while males keep theirs short. Eye color ranges widely, though shades of blue and green are most common. They love to adorn themselves with things that their aquatic kin does, such as seashells, coral, rich undersea plants, pearls, and other underwater decorations, and dress sparsely if at all.
Half-Merfolk make good diplomats, going from Merfolk villages to Human coastal towns and ports. They enjoy company of other non-evil aquatic races as well, such as Tritons and Aquatic Elves. Even they are few and far between, Water Genasi also get along with Half-Merfolk. Nature spirits and Fey are intriguing to Half-Merfolk as well. Sahuagin are loathed, and are enemies of the peaceful Merfolk and Half-Merfolk.
Half-Merfolk are usually neutral, like their ancestors. Neutral good Half-Merfolk are found, and there are barely any Half-Merfolk who are truly evil.
(In non-Forgotten Realms) Half-Merfolk revere Eadro, who is the deity who created Merfolk and Locathah.
(In Forgotten Realms) Half-Merfolk and regular Merfolk worship non-evil deities of the sea. Istishia is common, as well as Eldath and Valkur. While they don't devote themselves to Umberlee, they acknowledge her wrath and power and make payments to temples of her.
Half-Merfolk speak the same languages of their parents, usually Common and Aquan. Some commonly learned languages are Sylvan, Elven, and Serusan.
Half-Merfolk names are that of both Merfolk and Human variety. Merfolk names are elegant, which use the Aquan language, which bears a slight resemblance to Elven.
- Type: Humanoid, Aquatic
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma. Half-Merfolk are lithe, agile, and graceful and inherit the playfulness, charm, and beauty of Merfolk.
- Medium Size. As medium creatures, half-merfolk receive no bonus on attacks or AC.
- Speed: 30 ft.
- Swim Speed 30 ft. Half-Merfolk gain a +8 racial bonus on all Swim checks and can always choose to take 10 on Swim checks, even if rushed or threatened. Half-Merfolk can use the run action while swimming, as long as they swim in a straight line.
- Amphibious. Half-Merfolk can breathe both water and air.
- Low-light vision. Half-Merfolk can see twice as far as Humans can in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail in these conditions.
- Weapon Proficiencies: Light crossbow, heavy crossbow, trident, and net. Merfolk use these weapons famously, and Half-Merfolk train with them as well.
- +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Gather Information checks when interacting with a Humanoid.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Aquan, and home region. Bonus Languages: Any (excluding secret languages such as Druidic).
- Favored class: Bard
- Level Adjustment: +1. Half-Merfolk are more powerful than other races, and advance slower.
Note: There is a 3.0 edition description of this creature known as a "Merg". Mergs appear in Bastards and Bloodlines, a d20 Classic book published by Green Ronin Publishing.