Graveborn (4e Creature)
From D&D Wiki
Graveborn are humanoids who had such a powerful fear of their ultimate fate that they returned, through sheer force of will, to their corpses in a state of undeath. The terror that birthed her scars a graveborn for her entire existence, robbing her of all memmory of her former life and haunting her with the promise of her inescapable doom.
 Graveborn Exemplar of Orcus Tactics
An exemplar of Orcus enters combat from hiding, if possible, using its death's harbinger attack to strike as many enemies as it can. In subsequent rounds, it attempts to remain at the limits of it's reach, attacking with terrifying whispers whenever possible. When the exemplar's shadow cloak is triggered, it typically directs it's next attack at the triggering creature. Graveborn fear destruction above all else, so the exemplar of Orcus will flee if reduced to 23 or fewer hit points.
 Graveborn Muse Tactics
The muse is perfectly content to stand back and allow the restless dead to speak for her, using chorus of the damned. Once battle is joined, she allows her allies to tear into any threat, bolstering their efforts with her battle hymns. If it becomes apparent that one or two enemies are struggling against the after-effects of an attack, she will play a morbid durge to ensure they fall. Should any enemy come too close, she would sooner call for aid while performing the ode to certain doom than resort to her dagger. As a graveborn, she fears destruction above all else and will flee if brought to 32 hit points or fewer.
 Graveborn Lore
A character knows the following information with a successful Religion check.
- DC 15: Graveborn universally dread the Raven Queen and her servants. Oftentimes, fear festers and turns to hatred - a hatred shared by Orcus. These graveborn find a natural home amongst his cultists, some becoming exemplars of Orcus. So perfect is the partnership, that some believe the Prince of Blood plays a part in all graveborn's escape from death.
- DC 20: Some graveborn learn to extend their "gift" to others, broadcasting the insidious whispers of malevolent spirits to their foes. Exemplars of Orcus show their innate connection to the energies of the Shadowfell by surrounding themselves in its shadowstuff. The resulting clouds of darkness both conceal them and expose their foes to corruption. Muses draw upon the ubiquitous voices of the deceased for inspiration, channeling their energy to bring swift death to all who would oppose them.
 Encounter Groups
Graveborn exemplars of Orcus associate with other servants of Orcus and undead creatures, those who understand their dark hatred. Graveborn muses often associate with banshrae, whose passion for music is not tained by a hatred of undeath.
 Level 16 Encounter (XP 7000)
- 1 graveborn exemplar of Orcus (level 16 Lurker)
- 2 abyssal ghouls (level 16 Skirmisher)
- 2 boneclaws (level 14 Soldier)
- 4 horde ghouls (level 13 Minion)
 Level 13 Encounter (XP 4000)
- 1 graveborn muse (level 13 Controler leader)
- 3 banshrae dartswarmer (11 Artillery)
- 2 banshrae warrior (12 Skirmisher)