Gorillafolk (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Deep within the heart of forests across the land, dwells the wise and ancient primate race known by outsiders as gorillafolk. They call themselves the gora, a word that holds roughly the same meaning and is derived from their own language. When not fooling around, their lives are simple and revolve around the protection of the forest.
Quiet and aggressive to those not of the forest, the gorillafolk rarely solve disputes with words. While actually very slow to anger, they will try to intimidate and often attack those they see as disrespectful to nature. This includes city dwellers who they derisively call "sitwellers", those who abuse plant or wild life, aberrations, undead and any thing that is unnatural. Vehemently shunning civilization, they would enter cities only out of great necessity and only if their forest home depended on it. Amongst themselves and friends, the gorillafolk actually are very playful with a clown's sense of humor. They love to play games of chance, drink and eat merrily, tell the crudest of jokes and pull pranks on one another. They celebrate for the smallest of reasons and their festivals have been known to last for weeks without end. Even the most carefree, gora jokester will not cross the line when it comes to the subject of nature and it's necessary protection. The only exception to this fun-loving, merry-making attitude is seriousness of the wise druids, studying their magic and lore with a zeal and focus rarely ever matched. These gifted druidic gora form a council and take the leadership role in every gorillafolk settlement.
Gorillafolk are exceptionally large gorillas. Adults are roughly 6 to 7 ft in height and weigh from 500 to 600 pounds. Their eyes are soulful with the usual colors of coal black or cocoa brown and their presence is very intimidating. Coarse black fur sprout from behind their clothing made from animal skins and often simple, cheaply made fabrics. They prefer to walk on four limbs, lessening their stature somewhat but often stand their full height to add weight to a threat or wield weapons more comfortably. Female gorillafolk are relatively smaller than males.
The safety and wholeness of the forest is tantamount. They will protect their forest home with a fanatical zeal. Loggers and poachers need step carefully when venturing near their domain. Non-gora who enter their domain are confronted, often aggressively, and are questioned on their intentions. A shady character or the wrong answer would lead to a violent response. Most others are quickly escorted to their domain's edge. People who respect nature and are seen as allies are treated with brotherly kindness and allowed an empathetic hospitality unmatched by any other race. This does not make them immune to the infamous gorillafolk sense of humor. More often than not, outsiders find themselves the subject of the most elaborate of pranks to the enjoyment of the gora.
Usually Neutral . While neither exactly evil nor good, the gorillafolk will protect nature no matter the cost.
They usually live in temperate to warm forests.
The gorillafolk worship the spirit of nature, but not any deity in particular. They often refer to nature as "Mag mag", the gora equivalent of mother earth. The druids are their closest thing to priests, from who they rely on healing and divine contentment.
They speak a language that is a mixture of common and the seemingly nonsensical speech of gorillas. It is often referred to as gora. They also speak Common and sometimes know the languages of those who live in and around their domains.
Like most everything else, their sense of humor leads them to use names that always sound peculiar. Example male names are Spitmunger, Butteraterback, Damdamdam or Headsoacck. Example female names are Shesoacck, Fissshuny, Henafuzzitch or Butbigleese
- Type: Monstrous Humanoid
- Size: Large (-1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium creatures)
- Base Land Speed: 15ft or 45ft (see below), 30ft Climb
- Racial Hit Dice : Gorillafolk start with 2 levels of monstrous humanoid which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4 and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4 and Will +4.
- Racial Skills: A gorillafolk's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 7 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Listen, Spot and Climb.
- Racial Feats: A gorillafolk's monstrous humanoid levels grant him two additional feats.
- Darkvision out to 60ft.
- Gorillafolk have a +4 Natural Armor bonus.
- Varying Land Speed: Gorillafolk, like their animal counterparts, move most often on all fours which allows them a 45ft land speed. Unlike normal apes, they can wear shields or carry weapons. Gorillafolk wearing a shield, wielding a two-handed weapon or carrying an object requiring both hands can only move on their short legs, lessening their land speed by 30ft.
- Natural Weapon: A gorillafolk has two rend attacks and a bite attack, the massive powerful hands being the primary weapon. When not fighting with weapons, he uses his natural weapons to tear opponents to shreds. Each attack has a damage value of 1d6.
- Intimidator: A gorillafok's aggressiveness and impatience with strangers does not hurt his ability to intimidate would-be trespassers. If a gorillafolk has a negative Charisma modifier, roll his Intimidate checks without it.
- Brachiation: A gorillafolk is treated as having the feat Brachiation even if he doesn't meet the requirements.
- Gorillafolk have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
- Wild Empathy (ex) : Gorillafolk can use body language, vocalization and demeanor to improve the attitude of an animal This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that the gorillafolk has a +4 racial bonus on the check..
- Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day - speak with animals, detect snares and pits, detect animals or plants . Caster level 5.
- Automatic Languages: Gora and Common. Bonus Language: Elven, Sylvan, Halfling, Gnome, Goblin, Giant and Orc.
- Favored Class: Barbarian or Ranger