Gnome, Tinker (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Tinker Gnomes are an overly inquisitive and curious race, often getting themselves into danger or trouble. They're always trying to tinker with the way things work or function. They will tinker with magical or mechanical devices just to see if there's a way to make them better or just to see how they work. Tinker gnomes have been known to put so much of their time and energy into research & development of new mechanical devices or new magics that they lose track of all time.
Tinker Gnomes average 3 to 3 1/2 feet tall and weigh about 45-50 lbs. Their skin is a Pale white color depending on where they are living, with either straight or curly white hair, china-blue to violet eyes. Males have soft white beards and mustaches, females are beardless. Both sexes develop facial wrinkles after the age of 50. Tinker Gnomes are very short and stocky, though their movement is quick and their hands are deft and sure. They have rounded ears and large noses.
Tinker Gnomes get along well with dwarves, who share their curiosity with mechanical devices, and their dislike for goblins and giants (some hatreds run deep.) They have lost their distrust/suspicion of the taller races -- Humans, Elves, Half-elves and Half-orcs, after years of living in large cities and populated areas.
Good, and lean strongly towards Lawful due to their nature of needing to create new things and investigate the universe.
They often live in large cities; tinker gnomes generally do this because cities tend to be centers of intelligence and innovation. It also helps the tinker gnomes find other tinkerers to help them work on projects. Tinker gnomes sections are often quiet, though with the occasional loud boom or cheering coming from the houses. Tinker gnomes spend much of their time inside, fiddling with a new item or invention.
Sometimes more destructive inventions require living outside communal living and clutches of tightknit houses or labs can be formed under tree roots, caves, or even in the branches of towering oaks. These homes are littered with telltale scorch marks and often have spare bits of scrap lying here and there.
Tinker gnome follow any deity who is of good alignment, and represents Building, Knowledge or Craftsmanship. Favored Domains: Magic, knowledge, creation
Tinker Gnome language has not changed from the root language of their gnome ancestors, but the years of city living and their move away from nature, have left them unable to speak with burrowing animals.
Three names <true name> <short name -high lights> <Outsider name>
- +2 Intelligence, +2 Dexterity, –2 Strength, –2 Wisdom.
- Humanoid (Gnome).
- Small: As a Small creature, a tinker gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Tinker gnome base land speed is 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A tinker gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Weapon Familiarity: Tinker gnomes may treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks. Gnomes have keen ears
- +2 racial bonus on Craft (Alchemy) checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Use Magic Device
- +2 racial bonus on Decipher Script
- Automatic Languages: Common and Gnome. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven,Giant, Goblin, and Orc.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—Tinker Craft (self only, duration 1 day).
- A tinker gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—"Open/Close", "Mending", Prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + tinker gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.
- Favored Class: Artifacer A multiclass Tinker gnome’s Artifacer class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
- Level Adjustment: +0.
- Tinker Craft: is based on a spell from the Eberron Campain Setting called Mage Craft.
+5 competence bonus on one craft check made for a days work, when tinker craft is used every day over a week you can still apply the +5 competence bonus on your craft check for the week.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|150 years||200 years||250 years||+3d100 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3' 0"||+2d4||39 lb.||× 1d6 lb.|
|Female||3' 0"||+2d4||39 lb.||× 1d6 lb.|