Gigas (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The Gigas are Half-giants that have come together to form a civil sort of community. After several ages of keeping that community together the Gigas have become a completely different race than that of their half-giant ancestors. Living in the wilderness, the Gigas usually have small communities that are no larger than a small town which they call the “Carn”. Most Gigas are hardworking and simple, and they often live off the land that they have settled down in.
However, for the purposes of battle and war, Gigas are renowned for their strength and skill at fighting. What is not known about the Gigas, is that when they are not in the midst of battle, they can be - at times - incredibly deep thinkers. Though on the outside it may seem that they are “slow”, really most gigas’ run through the possibilities of their action and what effect might come of it.
Unfortunately for the gigas the people of Eseth have all had run-in’s with their giant kin and the prejudices usually reserved for the “true” giants are also taken out on them as well.
Standing between 8’ to 10’ tall, a Gigas is quite imposing indeed. Most are muscular in build, and they have a wide variety of skin tones which are correspondent to their giant lineage; ruddy (fire giant/firbolg giant), pale white (cloud/ice/stone giant), olive brown (storm giant), dark tan (hill giant). Hair is also a toss up but shades of brown, blue, purple, white, blond and red are all to be found in the race. Eye color’s come in shades of green, blue, brown and black. Females tend to be a bit smaller, but don’t let that lull you into a false sense of security since most gigas women are more compact than their male counterparts, and therefore are not found lacking in their strength.
Seeing that the Gigas were begotten from the merging of two races the race, as a whole, find them selves naturally draw to others who are of halfbreed status. Half-elfs, Half-orcs and the like are usually more than welcomed by the Gigas. Humans, Halflings, and some of the more openminded races are also welcomed, if not with open arms then with a fair handshake and a smile. However, the same cannot be said with the Dwarves and Gnomes. The natural enmity between the Gigas forefathers and those two races seems to have fallen directly on the shoulders of the Gigas as well. Finally, the Elves distrust the Gigas many because they argue that they have yet to "truly" become a civilized race.
With the spirit of their forefathers still in them the Gigas all tend to be Chaotic. However, through the ages and countless lessons that only time could provide the gigas leaned away from their evil roots and are now more Good or Neutral than evil.
The Gigas usually inhabit the base of mountians or hilly plains. It is because of their connection to their giant blood that these places make them feel at home.
Gigas’ worship Gaunt, the god of strength and perserverance. It is through this fledgling god that the race of half-breeds were given a chance. It was Gaunt who blessed his people with morales and lead them along the path of enlightenment.
Most Gigas speak Gigian, a more advance form of Giant Tongue. Their native tounge is often discribed as a "lumbering pome". This is because the race often emphasises the important of "thinking before you speak".
Naturally, Giant Tongue is also known to the Gigas and their childern, due to their connections to giants and their kin. Common language is also known, as the race usually trade with humans who they are friendly with.
- +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, −2 Dexterity, −2 Intelligence, −2 Charisma: Having the massive strength of their ancestors and their toughness as well, is only overshadowed by their slowness of mind and foot, plus the dislike that they foster for who their ancestors were.
- Large: -1 size penalty to AC, +2 size bonus to attack rolls, weapons that use two hand can be used with one hand with out penalty, all lifting and carrying limits are doubled, armor must be custom made.
- Gigas base land speed is 40 feet.
- +2 natural armor bonus: a gigas’ skin is thicker and tougher than any other races skin
- Gigan Battle Feats: Even though gigas are simple, their extensive history with warfare leaves them with a unnatural panache for learning the fighting skills of their race; if character is a fighter then he/she gains +1 bonus feat at levels 5, 7, 10, 13, 17. These bonuses can only be used for specialized Gigas feats (DM’s discretion), also these bonuses will become null if the chracter takes on a class that isn't a fighter type class.
- Spell-like Abilities; 1/ twelve hours – reduce self, this spell is a deluded form of the alter self and reduce person spell, and all it does is readjust the height of the gigas caster by half or anything between that. Gigas use this spell to better fit in with people and do business with out attracting too much attention. If a Gigas has an intelligence of 14 (which is unlikely) or more then these spell become available as well, 1/day – entangle, longstrider, Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gigas’ INT modifier + character level
- Automatic Languages: Gigian, and Common. Bonus Languages: Halfling, Terran, Goblinoid, Giant, Elven, Dwarven, and Gnome.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- Level Adjustment: +2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|120 years||176 years||275 years||+2d100 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||7' 10"||+2d12||425 lb.||× (1d12) lb.|
|Female||7' 8"||+2d12||400 lb.||× (1d12) lb.|