Furyian (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Where the sun beats down mercilessly during the day and the nights nearly freeze the blood, the Furyians thrive.
The Furyians are a stern, warrior race of humanoid reptiles. They take great pride in their discipline and unwavering loyalty. To them, order and courage are the key elements for solving all problems. Furyians will not allow themselves to take actions that will not improve themselves or their surroundings. Their pleasure and past time always are derived wholly from strengthening their mind and body or helping their clan and allies. Doing something for “the fun of it” is a scorned if not foreign idea. Activities that normally bring enjoyment to other races such as art or simply relaxing are anathema. This leads them to seem unemotional and dull. In fact, they are extremely loyal to friends and are the fiercest, and bravest of warriors.
Adult Furyians are 5 to 6 ft tall and weigh around 150-180lbs.depending on size of desert they can reach up to 14 to 17 ft tall and between 470 and and 620 lbs but tend to not stand strigh up for being seen by their prey They have a human shaped but reptilian body, with a fanged snout, a scaled hide, a long tail and razor-clawed hands. They have reptilian wings that flash in the sunlight (8 to 14 ft wingspand)Their scaly skin is a blend of a sandy cream and a burnt sunshine yellow which serves as camouflage for a desert land. They are often mistaken for Lizardfolk because of their very distinct reptilian features. Gaudy, rich garments and jewelry are never seen worn by a Furyian. They prefer armor, whether light or heavy and are never seen without it..
They associate with other races for trade and news. They will rid their domain of uninvited creatures that pose a threat but help people of friendly nations through their desert home. This, of course, never comes without a fair trade for their services. They consider themselves friendly, but other people often see them as strict and grim.
Society and Culture
Furyian society is akin to a large scale military operation. Every Furyian knows his or her place and is obedient to a higher ranking officer. Families are gathered into larger clans. The head Furyian of each family, known as captains, defer to the head Furyian of each clan, known as generals. The generals in turn serve the Commander. Rank is obtained through a competition held once every year simply called “The Contest.” It is a vigorous test of physical and mental strength, where challengers can (only if they wish) dispute the position of their leaders. Only captains can challenge generals and generals can challenge the Commander. The challengers compete amongst themselves as well as the officeholder to determine the new leader. Captains decide position within each family. By tradition, notable exploits and achievements directly shape his or her decisions. Males and females are afforded equal respect and recognition.
At a very young age, a Furyian learns the art of battle. Training is intense and does not end until adulthood. Along with combat training, a portion of young Furyian learn an assigned craft. This assigned craft becomes the Furyian's obligated occupation in adulthood. Furyians with magical ability, in addition to physical combat training, are taught by a high ranking elder mage. Furyian mages always specialize in destructive evocation and spells useful in combat. The same occurs with Furyians who show clerical promise. Whether arcane, divine or neither, Furyians always have at least one level of the Fighter class.
Furyians make their home in the sides of large sand dunes, fortifying it mortar and mud stones. Inside, the homes are always stark and somber. A Furyian never decorates or cares for pretentious displays. An assortment of weapons is kept in each and every room. Furyians are never without protective covering, sleeping in light armor and performing all tasks in their armor of choice.
Furyians always follow a goodly god or goddess of war or destruction.
They make their home in hottest and driest parts of the desert.
Furyian (a language similar to Draconic) and Common. Some may know the languages of enemies and neighboring people.
A Furyian name is very long compared to that of others. It is essentially a combination of different names, first part an individual's original and subsequent parts derived from the individual's family (each name being the first of an admired ancestor; male names for males and female names for females). Each part is separated by a snake-like hiss. Non-Furyians often just use the first part to make it simple. Sample names are : Yersesssmanussspongsssflages, Teornssshippinsssyeakssspeo.
- Type: Humanoid (Reptilian)
- Size: Medium
- +5 Natural Armor bonus.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Furyians are proficient with simple and martial weapons, all types of armor, and shields (except tower shields).
- Natural Weapons: Furyians have a two claws and a bite attack, the claws being primary. When not wielding weapons, a Furyians will attack viciously with his razor-sharp natural weapons. His claws have a damage value of 1d6 and his bite 1d4.
- Furyians have a +10 racial bonus on Hide checks in desert terrain.
- Living under a blazing, bright sun since their existence, Furyians are immune to blinding affects caused by light sources whether magical or mundane.
- Endure Elements (sp): Furyians can always survive harsh, extreme weather as with an endure elements spell.
- Wind Snipe (su): A number of times per day equal to his Constitution modifier and as a standard action, Furyians are able to emit a 30 ft line of powerful force energy. This is a breath weapon that deals 2d6 points of damage and pushes the opponent into the square directly in line with the attack, knocking the victim prone. A successful Reflex save (10 + damage dealt) halves the damage and avoids being pushed prone.
- Automatic Languages: Furyian,draconic and common. Bonus Language: Dwarven, Gnome and Giant. Also any language of neighboring people.
- Favored Class: Fighter
- Level Adjustment: +2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||53 years||70 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 10”||+10d10||150 lb.||× (10d30) lb.|
|Female||4’ 8”||+10d10||140 lb.||× (10d30) lb.|