Fur (3.5e Template)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Creating a Fur
- 1.1 Type, traits, abilities, etc.
- 1.2 Special Qualities
- 1.3 Vulnerabilities:
- 1.4 Other Traits
- 2 Aiar Furs as a race
Creating a Fur
|This page needs an image. If you are an artist, or know of any image that would fit this page, please upload a picture and add it.|
- normal animal or vermin type; usable as a familiar, challenge rating not more than 1; size: small, tiny, or diminuitive
- normal animal or vermin type; usable as a druid's animal companion, challenge rating not more than 2; size: tiny, small, medium, or large
- normal animal or vermin type; usable as a mount, challenge rating not more than 2; size: medium or large
In game terms, furs are identical to the base creature in every way, including any special qualities and abilities, except as listed below. If the changes listed below conflict with something on the base creature's listings, the base creature characteristic is lost. To ensure the conversion is done correctly, make changes in the order listed.
Type, traits, abilities, etc.
Furs have all the features and traits listed on the 'SRD:Outsider Type' and 'SRD:Celestial Creature' pages except for the following: Hit points, hit dice, skills, fortitude, reflex, and will saves are unchanged from the base creature, except as per changes to ability scores below. Furs breathe, eat, sleep, and reproduce the same as their base creature, but can survive about twice as long as their base creature would without food or sleep. Furs can only use those weapons, armor, and equipment their base creatures can, and are only proficient with their natural weapons (claws, hooves, fangs, etc), and can smite evil using their bite, claw, or kick attacks only.
When slain, the bodies of furs degrade much more rapidly than normal animals, releasing the soul onto whatever plane, world, etc. it happens to be on. Its soul suffers the same fate as a mortal's would, but there is no body left for resurrection. A new body must be provided for the soul to be returned to life. If there are skyfish nearby, it is virtually certain that one will notice the death, convert the soul into a glow, and attempt to return it to the Isles of the Dead.
In addition, all furs have the following:
Furs can sense good, evil, and base emotions including aggression up to 30 feet away; strongly good or strongly evil beings and effects such as pit fiends or a holy place, can be detected more than a mile away; they do not sense specific objects or creatures, only a sense of direction and distance.
Furs can use a combination of normal and supernatural senses to track anyone very close to them emotionally (usually their master, mate, or pups) from incredible distances. Some furs have been known to follow their loved ones' scent trails for hundreds of miles, and repick up a scent trail that has been erased over a mile away. They are also great navigators and memorize landmarks, paths, cavern layouts, etc., with less difficulty than most humanoids or normal animals.
A fur can choose to leave its master at any time. While the master instantaneously incurs the loss of the advantages having a familiar, companion, or mount normally grants, the master does not incur additional penalties for loosing the animal. This is a free action that can be done at any time. However, furs take doing so seriously and will use this ability only under relatively dire circumstances; furs will often free their masters if mortally wounded. They will also leave if mistreated.
A fur can cast 'summon aiar' once an hour with a 30% chance of success. Roll 1d6: 1-2: 1d4 furs; 3-4: a band of fey'iar; 5: a first level sukeb sorcerer with a sleep spell ready; 6: a first level denset fighter. A pack of furs casting 'summon aiar' simultaneously has a 70% chance of success. Roll 1d6: 1-2: 1d3 packs of furs; 3-4: a swarm of skyfish; 5: a swarm of whisps; 6: an anik.
Once per day, a fur can give up two points of constitution to save the life of its mate, pup, or master. The fur must make a DC 10 will check to do this. This only works if the spell is cast no later than 1 round after the victim reaches -10 hp, the victim remains at between -10 and -30 hp while the spell is cast, and the body is not hopelessly damaged or in an unsurvivable condition (i.e., it doesn't work on creatures swallowed by a shark, beheaded, etc.). Casting time is two rounds, during which the fur must remain motionless. The successfully treated victim will recover with 1 hp after 24 hours in a coma. If the fur's constitution score is reduced to zero, it will die the moment the spell is completed, otherwise it will fall into a coma for one hour, and then be fatigued until the victim recovers.
Furs are unusually vulnerable to post traumatic stress disorder. If a fur witnesses the violent death of a loved one or equally traumatic experience, there is a 60% chance that they will experience a momentary psychotic episode the each time anything happens that reminds them of it.
Spells such as greater restoration, heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish can restore the creature, as can a pilgramage to the valley of order or 1d4+2 months of psychotherapy. If their condition becomes a grave inconvenience to its master, the fur will use the leave ability to free its master from the burden of caring for such a disturbed being.
In addition, they quickly take a dislike to anyone that reminds them of anyone who mistreated them in the past. For example, if a drow kicked a fur's mate, all dark elven races suffer a -2 penalty to diplomacy checks toward that particular fur. To cure this, a creature from the distrusted group must perform an act of extraordinary kindness toward the fur.
Size, Hit Dice, and Hit Points
unchanged from base creature.
Furs can mate with other furs, celestials, or normal animals of the same or similar base creature. Thus an aiar fur celestial riding dog could reproduce with a dire wolf but not a celestial tiger. Gestation and birth take place as per the base creature; the offspring will nominally be a native celestial animal (NOT an aiar) unless both parents are aiar furs of the same base creature.
Furs age as their base creature. Upon reaching maximum age they do not die, but instead are promoted to sukeb. Furs newly promoted from least aiar start out as the minimum age their base creature would be able to suvive in the wild without its parents, siblings, etc. OR as an embro due to reproduction (see above).
Aiar Furs as a race
Personality and Combat
Furs have similar personalities and combat style to their base creature, but their intelligence and celestial traits and qualities give them more options than the base creature would have. The most important of these is the summon aiar ability, but they also use their alignment sense and ability to plan ahead to survive. If anything, furs tend to be even more playful than their base creatures, and will behave like a domestic dog or cat, licking, rolling, and rubbing against their loved ones and their loved ones' guests and companions. When lives are stake they are ferocious and even more fanatically loyal towards their loved ones than their base creatures and will often fight to the death to protect them.
Society and Religion
The basic unit in fur society is generally a pack with the same size as the base creature's normal group size, with a dominant male and female. They prefer areas that are untouched by civilization. Typically, all the animals in a pack have the same base creature, and several packs of different base creatures inhabit a region. Furs have no formal religions, but each pack will engage in ceremony - like behaviors based on the base creature's behavior, such as group howling. They have a deep reverence for life, community, and beings who are strongly good in alignment.
Language and Names
Furs have no formal language. They communicate using a wide variety of calls and scents. From their point of view, a creatures' identity is tied to scent, not sound. They will readily take on the names and learn commands used by humanoid races, however. In fact it takes a fur a mere 1d4 days to learn a new command, and over time they can learn a "command vocabulary" of hundreds or occasionally even thousands of simple words.
Furs can be found on any of the planes though they are quite rare except in areas occupied by celestial armies and on the lowest three layers of Fortress Celestia. Furs tend to live in the same climates and terrain as their base creature and sometimes live alongside normal and non - aiar celestial versions of the same animal. Furs are semi - nomadic and will travel enormous distances to seek masters, even stowing away on board ships or seeking out beings that can teleport them.
Furs get along at least as well with native celestial animals and normal animals as their base creature would. They tend to be friendly toward the other celestial races, but get often get too playful, hungry, or pushy and have to be shooed away. They also like humanoids, but they are skittish and distrustful around anybody who shows up as partially evil on their aiar alignment sense, strangers entering their territory, and anything they have difficulty understanding.
Furs instinctively seek out humanoid adventurers to serve as familiars, companions, mounts, pets, etc. They try to be the best they can on order to seek opportunity for promotion. They do not make good adventurers, however.
As per the base creature, plus by promotion to sukeb.