Find Familiar (2.5e Spell)
From D&D Wiki
- Level: 1
- Range: 1 mile / Level
- Duration: Special
- Area of Effect: As spell range.
- Components: V,S,M
- Casting Time: 1-24 hours.
- Saving Throw: Neg.
A familiar is of certain benefit to a magic-user, as the creature adds to the spell caster's hit points, it conveys its sensory powers to its master, and it can converse with and will serve as a guard/scout/spy as well. However, the magic-user has no control over what sort of creature will answer the summoning, or if any at all will come, and the power of the conjuration is such that it can be attempted but once per year. At such time as the magic-user determines to find a familiar, he or she must stoke up a brass brazier with charcoal, and when this is burning well, add 100 g.p. worth of incense, herbs (basil, savory, and catnip for sure), and fat. When these items are burning, the spell caster begins his or her incantation, and it must be continued until the familiar comes or the casting time is finished. Your referee will secretly determine all results. The magic-user has absolutely no control over what sort of a creature appears to become his or her familiar. This will be determined on the table below:
- Die Roll (d20) _____________ Familiar ________________ Sensory Powers
- 1-4 _________________________________ Cat, Black ____________ Excellent Night vision & Superior hearing.
- 5-6 ___________________________________ Crow _______________________ Excellent vision.
- 7-8 ___________________________________ Hawk _________________ Very superior distance vision.
- 9-10 _______________________________ Owl, Screech _____________ Night vision, Superior Hearing.
- 11-12 _________________________________ Toad _______________________ Wide angle vision.
- 13-14 ________________________________ Weasel ______________ Superior hearing & very superior olfactory.
- 15 __________________________________ Special _________________ See sub-table below for details.
- 16-20 __________________________________ No Familiar available within spell range.
If a score of 15 is rolled, use the table below for a special familiar:
- Alignment of Magic-User ____________________________ Result of Special Familiar
- Chaotic Evil or neutral chaotic _____________________________ Quasit.
- Chaotic good, neutral, or neutral good ________________________ Pseudo-dragon.
- Lawful neutral or lawful good ___________________________________ Brownie.
- Lawful evil or Neutral Evil _____________________________________ Imp.
- Normal familiars have 2-4 hit points and armor class of 7 (due to size, speed, etc..). Each is abnormally intelligent and totally faithful to the magic-user whose familiar it becomes. The number of the familiar's hit points is added to the hit point total of the magic-user when it is within 12" of its master, but if the familiar should ever be killed, the magic-user will permanently lose double that number of hit points.
- A familiar will fight for the life of the magic-user it serves only in a life-and-death situation, and imps and quasits will be 90% likely not to do so at the risk of their own life.