Faelcuvyn (3.5e Creature)
From D&D Wiki
Faelcuvyn (CR 18)
Author: Wizards.com Message Boards
|Size/Type:||Gargantuan Fey (Fire, Evil)|
|Hit Dice:||25d6+175 (262 hp)|
|Speed:||Speed 50', Swim 100', Burrow 20'|
|Armor Class:||31 (+3 dex, +6 deflection (charisma), +16 natural, -4 size), touch 15, flat-footed 28|
|Attack:||Slam +20 2d8 + 12 (18-20/*3)|
|Full Attack:||2 slams +20 2d8+ 12 (18-20/*3)|
|Special Attacks:||Spell-like abilities, Burn, Fiery Aura, Augmented Critical (slam), Combustion, Flaming Body, Blazing Splendour, Magma flow, Split Earth, Raise Volcano, Smoldering Gaze|
|Special Qualities:||Fire Absorb (Hit Points), DR 10/cold iron, Fast Healing 5, Fiery Hair, Special Swim, Darkvision 120, SR 30,Tremorsense, Magma Bond|
|Saves:||Fort +15, Ref +17, Will +18|
|Abilities:||Str ength, 16, Dex terity, 24, Con stitution, 14, Int elligence, 18, Wis dom, 22, Cha risma.|
|Skills:||Diplomacy +20, Hide +1, Intimidate +44, Knowledge (nature) +30, Listen +32, Move Silent +17, Search +30, Spot +32, Survival +32, Swim +26|
|Feats:|| Quicken Spell-Like Ability, Snatch, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Improved Natural Attack, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip,
Ability Focus: Blazing Splendor
|Treasure:||Standard (non flammables only)|
|Advancement:||26-50HD (gargantuan), 51+ HD (Colossal)|
|This page needs an image. If you are an artist, or know of any image that would fit this page, please upload a picture and add it.|
All Faelcuvyn appear female in form. Most stand around 40 feet tall and weigh some 40,000 pounds (but don't mention that to them!)
Their bodies resemble nothing so much as finely polished obsidian and their hair is dancing flames.
Fire Absorb (su): The Faelcuvyn absorbs all damaging spells with the [Fire] descriptor cast at it, gaining hit points equal to the damage dealt. Any excess hit points, up to a maximum of twice her normal maximum hit points, are gained as temporary hit points, which disappear after 24 hours.
Fast Healing (Ex): A Faelcuvyn heals only if it is touching magma, lava, or a flame at least as large as a torch.
Fiery Hair (ex): The hair of the Faelcuvyn is usually a lustrous black flowing mantle of shiny rockwool, but when she gets angry, it ignites and wreathes her lovely, smooth face in a diabolic corona of flames from hell. This grants her a +10 circumstance bonus on intimidate, and does not give her the Flaming Healing as normal Flame does.
Special Swim (su): By immersing herself into any lava flow, the Faelcuvyn can swim through the molten core of the earth, exiting in any location where a lava flow exits the crust of the earth. After swimming for 1d3 days, she surfaces in any lava flow she wishes anywhere on the same plane, without chance of getting lost. The Faelcuvyn also has the option of not exiting from the mantle of the earth for as long as she wishes for any reason. Due to this trait, it is almost impossible to calculate how many Faelcuvyn are alive today. As far as we know, it could be just one - or thousands could be "vacating" in the fiery heart of the earth (possibly serving their Phaeton gods).
See Magma Bond for further information.
Tremorsense (ex): The Faelcuvyn can sense anything within 60' that is touching the ground.
Magma Bond: The Faelcuvyn is bound to a particular existing lava or magma flow. The Faelcuvyn can stray no more than 30 miles from its flow, or it takes 1d6 con damage every ten minutes. Upon returning to its flow, the Faelcuvyn gains its constitution back at a rate of 1 point per day.
If a Faelcuvyn's home flow becomes dormant, due to an earthquake or other (natural or not) catastrophe, or if the Faelcuvyn's connection with its home flow is disrupted, the Faelcuvyn must find or create a new flow within the above time frame or perish.
Any lava-flow used as an exit point for the Faelcuvyn Special Swim ability is now considered it's home flow and the Faelcuvyn loses its connection with its original flow. This event also terminates any existing connection with the exit point that another Faelcuvyn may have.
No two Faelcuvyn may have home flows that are within 1 mile of each other.
Burn (Ex): Any creature hit by Faelcuvyn's slam attack, or that hits her with a natural weapon or unarmed attack, must succeed a reflex save (DC 29) or catch fire. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Fiery Aura (Ex): Anyone within 20 feet of a Faelcuvyn must succeed on a DC 29 Fortitude save or take 2d6 points of heat damage per round from the intense heat. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Augmented Critical(ex): The Faelcuvyn's slam attack threatens a critical on 18-20
Combustion (Ex): Anyone a Faelcuvyn touches must succeed on a DC 29 Reflex save or take an extra 1d8 points of fire damage as clothes ignite or armor becomes searing hot. The damage continues for another 1d4+2 rounds after the Faelcuvyn’s last successful attack. Faelcuvyn's can also ignite flammable materials with a touch. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Flaming Body (Su): The body of a Faelcuvyn is wreathed in flame. Anyone grappling a Faelcuvyn takes 4d6 points of fire damage each round.
Blazing Splendor (Su): By taking a standard action, the Faelcuvyn can cause the flames that wreath her body to blacken, flicker, and flare wildly. Creatures within a 300 foot radius must succeed on a DC 30 Will save or become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Creatures with 6 or less HD become panicked instead. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Magma Flow (su): A Faelcuvyn can, using its innate abilities, alter the flow of magma within 200' of itself. This SQ has many different functions. Unless stated otherwise, all Magma Flow abilities are usable at will as standard actions.
- The Faelcuvyn can cause a 5x5x5 pool of magma to form anywhere on the ground within 200' of an existing lava flow and itself as a full-round action that provokes an Attack of Opportunity. Additional 5' cubes may be added seen fit, using additional full-round actions.
- The Faelcuvyn can cause a 15'x5' vertical cylinder of magma to spurt from any point in an existing magma flow, within range, of over 10' deep. If used as an attack, targeted creatures take 5d6 points of fire damage immediately, and 2d6 fire damage for 1d4 additional rounds, due to the magma sticking to clothing, skin, and equipment. Targeted creatures may attempt a Reflex save, DC 29, for half primary damage and no secondary damage. The save DC is Constitution based.
- The Faelcuvyn can cause a pool or river of magma at least 20 feet across to surge over its banks up to a distance of 5 feet + 5 feet per 10' over 20'. (example: a pool of lava 30' wide would surge 10' over its banks). Use the above damage and save rules for anyone caught in the wave.
- The Faelcuvyn may, as a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, cause any large pool or river of lava at least 30' in diameter and at least 15' deep to swirl into a whirlpool, dragging anything or anyone trapped inside under the surface unless it succeeds at a swim check, DC 29. The whirlpool continues as long as the creature concentrates and for 1d6 rounds afterwards. The save DC is Constitution based.
Split Earth (Sp): Once per day, a Faelcuvyn may strike the ground with her fists, tearing a cleft in the earth's surface. The cleft extends 8d10 feet from the Faelcuvyn in the direction of her choosing and is five feet wide. Creatures standing on the ground where the crack forms may make a DC 34 Reflex save to avoid falling into the bowels of the earth (the DC is Strength-based). All other creatures standing within 100 feet of theFaelcuvyn must make a Reflex save (the DC is Strength-based) or be knocked prone. Split Earth is a standard action. The Faelcuvyn is at no risk of falling into the chasm or being knocked prone as a result of Split Earth.
Raise Volcano (Sp): Faelcuvyn reproduce only whenever a member of their race is fell, which is seldom if ever. Should a Faelcuvyn die, her volcano becomes dormant and new volcano containing her resurected spirit is created. A council is held through the mantle of molten earth into which all Faelcuvyn are connected and through which all may communicate. A predestined location for the new Faelcuvyn is divined and the three nearest Faelcuvyn trek there where, when joined, Raise Volcano as per the spell with the following enhancements:
- The mound created is initially 100 ft tall/per Faelcuvyn involved and grows as much each round concentration is maintained with no cap as to the maximum height of the risen volcano.
- All structures in the area are destroyed (no save)
- Any creatures in the area must make a reflex save (DC 29) or fall the initial height of the volcano (300ft) where they make another reflex save each round or fall that height again as the volcano continues to grow.
- After the ritual the volcano does not collapse. Rather it becomes a natural part of the landscape.
- At the core of the new volcano the fallen Faelcuvyn is risen at full health and otherwise precisely as she were before her death. She is bound to this volcano precisely as she was her last and is forever affected with an antipathy effect tied to her previous volcano (no save).
This extraordinary ability is taken in all seriousness and is never used offensively despite the evil disposition of the fey. Should the site divined to be the site of the new volcano be occupied however, the Fey hesitate not to continue with their ritual and give no warning. After all, the site is predestined. The save DC is Constitution based.
Smoldering Gaze (Su): As a standard action, a wrathful Faelcuvyn can stun a creature within 30 feet with a look. The target creature must succeed on a DC 28 Fortitude save or be stunned for 2d4 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Spell-Like Abilities: as a sorcerer, DC is charisma based (16+ spell level) At Will: Produce flame, Pyrotechnics, Fire shield, Flare, Burning Hands, Water Walk (lava-based), Wall of Smoke
3/day: Scorching ray, Wall of Fire, Flaming Sphere, Transmute Lava to Rock/Rock to Lava, (lava based) Control Water, Fire Dance
1/day: Earthquake, Fire Storm, Volcanic Storm
A fey possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
- Low-light vision.
- Proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
- Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) that it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Fey not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Fey are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
- Fey eat, sleep, and breathe.
Fire Subtype: A creature with the fire subtype has immunity to fire. It has vulnerability to cold, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.
Tactics, round by round:
Prior to combat: Casts Fire Shield, wade into the center of the largest pool of magma available, forcing ranged attacks. Use Magma Flow to melt as much rock as possible, reducing enemy mobility. Activate Blazing Splendour.
Round 1: Wall of fire, circular form, heat focused inwards to catch as many PCs as possible, especially spellcasters. Quickened Scorching Ray on spellcaster.
Round 2: Use Magma Flow to wash a wave of lava over the entrapped PCs. Quickened Scorching Ray on spellcaster.
Round 3: Use quickened [Fire] spells to heal if necessary, then Earthquake to bring the roof down on opponents.
Round 4: Fire Storm on survivors.