Eisenmeister (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Eisenmeisters (Iron Master) are Ravniran tinkerers. They are experts in clockwork, and often make odd, magic-like effects with their creations. However, they are magic, so they do implant a bit of magic into their creations.
Making a Eisenmeister
The Eisenmeister is very squishy on her own. However, she can dish out quite a bit of damage with her upgraded Armbrust. Most Eisenmeisters never leave the workshop without their Eisen Wölfe and/or their Armbrust.
Abilities: Intelligence is useful because it gives them better spell casting and Craft scores. In addition, their lack of armoring means that Dexterity is useful.
Races: Usually humans, although elves or dwarves are common. Orcs, Goblins and Ogres are completely unheard-of. Halflings are not uncommon, but they tend to opt other classes more often than not.
Alignment: Any, but usually Chaotic
Starting Gold: 8d6×10 gp (280 gp).
Starting Age: Complex
|Saving Throws||Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||+0||+0||+2||+2||Uhrwerk, Customize Armbrust||3||1||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|3rd||+2||+1||+3||+3||Customize Armbrust, Invention||4||2||1||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|5th||+3||+1||+4||+4||Craft Eisen Wölfe||4||3||2||1||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|11th||+8/+3||+3||+7||+7||Invention, Craft Eisen Löwe||4||4||4||4||3||2||1||—||—||—|
|12th||+9/+4||+4||+8||+8||Customize Armbrust, Improve Guardian||4||4||4||4||3||3||2||—||—||—|
|15th||+11/+6/+1||+5||+9||+9||Customize Armbrust, Craft Eisen Kätzchen||4||4||4||4||4||4||3||2||1||—|
|18th||+13/+8/+3||+6||+11||+11||Customize Armbrust, Invention||4||4||4||4||4||4||4||3||3||2|
|20th||+15/+10/+5||+6||+12||+12||Craft Wütend Eisen Kätzchen||4||4||4||4||4||4||4||4||4||4|
Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Eisenmeister.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Eisenmeisters are proficient with all simple weapons and the Armbrust. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a Eisenmeister’s gestures, which can cause her spells with somatic components to fail.
Spells: An Eisenmeister casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. She can cast any spell she knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).
To learn or cast a spell, an Eisenmeister must have a Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Eisenmeister’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Eisenmeister’s Intelligence modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a Eisenmeister can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Eisenmeister. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Intelligence score.
A Eisenmeister’s selection of spells is extremely limited. An Eisenmeister begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of her choice. At each new Eisenmeister level, she gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: Eisenmeister Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a Eisenmeister knows is not affected by her Intelligence score; the numbers on Table: Eisenmeister Spells Known are fixed.) These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list and the following:
Animate Objects as a level 4 spell.
Chill Metal as a level 2 spell.
Heat Metal as a level 2 spell.
Make Whole as a level 2 spell.
Rusting Grasp as a level 3 spell.
Sympathetic Vibration as a level 4 spell.
Zone of Silence as a level 2 spell.
Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered Eisenmeister level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), an Eisenmeister can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, the Eisenmeister “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level Eisenmeister spell the Eisenmeister can cast. An Eisenmeister may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that she gains new spells known for the level.
Unlike a wizard or a cleric, an Eisenmeister need not prepare her spells in advance. She can cast any spell she knows at any time, assuming she has not yet used up her spells per day for that spell level. She does not have to decide ahead of time which spells she will cast.
Uhrwerk: An Eisenmeister is an expert at clockwork. She has gained the ability to create Constructs that run off of clockwork, but she cannot create regular Constructs without the Craft Construct feat. When dealing with Clockwork Constructs, she is treated as having the Craft Construct feat.
Customize Armbrust: An Eisenmeister is a tinkerer at heart. Therefore, it is not surprising that they would find ways to improve upon their main weapon, the Armbrust. Each improvement requires a DC 15 Craft check, and 100 gp of material. It takes ten minutes to upgrade the Armbrust. All of the following are possible upgrades.
- Basic Upgrade Slots (Ex): An Eisenmeister who upgrades her Armbrust with this ability gains three upgrade slots (Scope, Body, Action). This must be taken before she may take any other upgrades, except for Enhancement. This upgrade also gives the Armbrust a +1 to damage rolls, a +5 maximum range, and it is treated as Masterwork. The Craft skill required for this upgrade is Craft (weaponsmithing)
Scopes: The Craft skill required for these upgrades is Craft (optics)
- Strichplatte (Su): An Armbrust with this upgrade has a basic etched range-finding reticle on its Scope. This lets the Eisenmeister estimate the trajectory of the bolt relatively accurately, giving the Armbrust a +5 range increment increase and +1 to hit. This does not increase the maximum range, only the increment.
- Improved Strichplatte (Su): This may only be taken if the Eisenmeister has already upgraded the Armbrust with Strichplatte, and is level 9 or higher. An Armbrust with this upgrade has a slightly more advanced reticle, letting the Eisenmeister estimate the trajectory of the bolt to a greater accuracy than before. This gives the Armbrust a +10 range increment increase and +2 to hit, which does not stack with the increase from Strichplatte. This does not increase the maximum range, only the increment.
- Greater Strichplatte (Su): This may only be taken if the Eisenmeister has already upgraded the Armbrust with Strichplatte and Improved Strichplatte. An Armbrust with this upgrade has a near perfect reticle, letting the Eisenmeister estimate the trajectory of the bolt with almost flawless accuracy. This gives the Armbrust a +15 range increment increase and +2 to hit, which does not stack with the increases from Strichplatte or Improved Strichplatte. This does not increase the maximum range, only the increment.
- Focuser (Su): This may only be taken if the Eisenmeister is level 12 or higher. An Armbrust with this upgrade has a Scope with lenses that magnifies the target, making it easier to hit a specific part of them. An Armbrust with this upgrade has a +1 Threat Range. This bonus stacks with other increases such as Keen and Improved Critical, but it is applied last.
- HUD (Su): An Armbrust with this upgrade has an enchantment on the Scope that allows it to display information on the glass. This upgrade allows the Scope to display orientation, wind speed, distance, and elevation. this information allows the Eisenmeister to better calculate the trajectory of a bolt. This increases the range increment by an additional +5, even if they have Scrichplatte, and it gives the Armbrust a +1 to-hit.
- Damage Scan (Su): This may only be taken if the Eisenmeister has already upgraded the Armbrust with HUD. An Armbrust with this upgrade has an improved HUD system. As a move action, she may make a Scan of one target. The Scan provides her with the percent health remaining of the target. At level 13, the Scan provides her with the exact amount of remaining hit-points.
Body: The Craft skill required for these upgrades is Craft (clockwork)
- Large Clip (Ex): An Armbrust with this upgrade has an expanded clip, allowing it to fit additional bolts in a single clip. The clip size increases to 15 bolts.
- Assisted Reload (Ex): An Armbrust with this upgrade has a system in place to assist the Eisenmeister in reloading clips. Reloading the clip of the Armbrust only takes a move action, but still provokes attacks of opportunity.
- Improved Assisted Reload (Ex): This may only be taken if the Eisenmeister has already upgraded the Armbrust with Assisted Reload, and is level 9 or higher. An Armbrust with this upgrade has improved the Assisted Reload system, allowing them to seamlessly refill the Armbrust. Reloading the Armbrust no longer provokes attacks of opportunity.
- Sheaf Firing (Ex): This may only be taken if the Eisenmeister has already upgraded the Armbrust with Large Clip and Assisted Reload. An Armbrust with this upgrade has had it’s firing mechanism adapted to accept special 'sheaves' of bolts. A single sheaf contains three Small bolts, but takes up more space in the clip, so she can only put 5 in the large clip. Whenever she fires at an opponent, she attacks them with three Small bolts instead of one Medium, but she gets a -5 to-hit. She only needs to roll for attack once, but she must roll to confirm critical hits individually, and bonus damage from Shocking or such is only applied once.
- Bayonet (Ex): This may only be taken if the Eisenmeister is level 9 or higher. An Armbrust with this upgrade has a small blade extruding from the front. This blade is a allows her to attack with the Armbrust as though it was a Spear.
Action: The Craft skill required for these upgrades is Craft (weaponsmithing)
- Tighten String (Ex): An Armbrust with this upgrade has had its arms modified to make them longer and hold the string tighter. This means that the bolt leaves the Armbrust at a much higher velocity than normal, allowing the bolts to go farther. The maximum range of the Armbrust is increased by 20 feet, and it deals an extra +1 damage.
- Fiery Quarrel (Su): An Armbrust with this upgrade has the ability to imbue fire energy upon its bolts. The Armbrust is treated as having the Flaming property.
- Shocking Quarrel (Su): An Armbrust with this upgrade has the ability to imbue electricity energy upon its bolts. The Armbrust is treated as having the Shocking property.
- Quick Lever (Ex): This may only be taken if the Eisenmeister is level 12 or higher. An Armbrust with this upgrade has much less resistance in the reloading lever, allowing the Eisenmeister to fire much more rapidly. The Armbrust is treated as having the Speed quality. However, this is not a magical ability, so it still functions in an anti-magic field.
Invention: By 3rd level, an Eisenmeister has begun inventing new devices to assist in her adventures. Each Invention has an CS, or Creation Score. The CS of an Invention is 2(class level/3) Crafting an Invention takes 1 week. The DC and price varies for each invention. She may choose one of the following as an Invention.
- Deflection Shield (Su): This invention requires a Craft (clockwork) check, DC 20, and 15000 gp of materials, and being able to cast the spell Shield. It projects a field around the user that deflects attacks. The field provides the user with a deflection bonus to AC equal to the CS/2, to a maximum of +5.
- Sound Inhibitor (Su): This invention requires a Craft (clockwork) check, DC 20, and 4000 gp of materials, and being able to cast the spell Zone of Silence. The Eisenmeister creates a devise to dampen sound he makes. The user gains a bonus to Move Silently equal to CS.
- Jump Boots (Su): This invention requires a Craft (clockwork) check, DC 20, and 5000 gp of materials, and being able to cast the spell Jump. The Eisenmeister creates a devise that he wears on her feet that allows him to jump much higher than normal. The user gains a bonus to Jump checks equal to CS×1.5. This Invention can also be combined with the Legs of Running by doubling the invention time and material price, and adding +8 to the DC.
- Legs of Running (Su): This invention requires a Craft (clockwork) check, DC 20, and 5000 gp of materials, and being able to cast the spell Expeditious Retreat. The Eisenmeister creates a pair of greaves with amplification devices made into them. The user gains a land speed bonus of +10 feet. This Invention can also be combined with the Jump Boots by doubling the invention time and material price, and adding +8 to the DC.
- Neural Controller (Su): This invention requires a Craft (clockwork) check, DC 20, and 4000 gp of materials, and being able to cast the spell Disguise Self. The Eisenmeister creates an earring that, when worn, gives the user complete control over their facial expression. They gain a bonus to Bluff check equal to CS.
- Shield Automoton (Su): This invention requires a Craft (clockwork) check, DC 20, and 14000 gp of materials, and being able to cast the spell Levitate. The Eisenmeister creates a floating Automaton that acts as a shield. The Eisenmeister does not have to hold the shield, and is free to use both hands. The shield is treated as a heavy steel shield with an enhancement bonus equal to the CS/2.5, to a maximum of +5.
- Goggles (Su): This invention requires a Craft (optics) check, DC 20, and 4000 gp of materials, and being able to cast the spell Detect Secret Doors. The Eisenmeister creates a pair of goggles that focus images, allowing him to see with great detail. The user gains a bonus to Spot and Search equal to the CS/2.
- Spider Gloves (Su): This invention requires a Craft (clockwork) check, DC 20, and 4000 gp of materials, and being able to cast the spell Spider Climb. The Eisenmeister creates a pair of gloves with 4 spider-leg "fingers" coming out of the back, arching over top of the four normal fingers. The user gains a bonus to Climb equal to CS/2.
Craft Eisen Wölfe: At level 5, an Eisenmeister learns how to create Eisen Tiere. The Eisenmeister may Craft an Eisen Wölfe, which is a clockwork wolf. This ability functions like the druid ability 'Animal Companion', except that the Eisenmeister’s effective druid level is equal to her ranks in the Craft (clockwork) skill −3. The Eisen Wölfe is a Construct, giving it all of the traits of Construct, but not the features. In addition, a level 8 Eisenmeister may, if she can cast Chill Metal or Heat Metal, treat the Eisen Wölfes natural attack as having either the Flaming or the Frost property. An Eisenmeister may only have one Eisen Tiere at a time. The Craft (clockwork) DC for an Eisen Wölfe is 20, and requires 250 gp of material. Any time you replace your Eisen Tiere, you may reuse the materials from the previous Eisen Tiere.
Craft Eisen Löwe: At level 11, an Eisenmeister learns how to create larger and more powerful Eisen Tiere. The Eisenmeister may replace her Eisen Wölfe with an Eisen Löwe. An Eisen Löwe is identical to an Eisen Wölfe, except it is a dire lion instead. The Craft (clockwork) DC for an Eisen Löwe is 28, and requires 360 gp of material.
Improve Guardian: At level 12, an Eisenmeister begins upgradeing her Eisen Tiere with special powers. By makeing a DC 27 Craft (clockwork), the Eisenmeister may upgrade her Eisen Tiere with one of the following abilities:
- Enlarge Guardian (Ex): An Eisen Tiere with this upgrade has had its shell enlarged, along with its clockwork. The Eisen Tiere is increased to the next size: If it was medium, it is now large, and if it was large it is now huge. Increase abilities and damage as appropriate. This upgrade requires 350 gp of material for each size above medium the end result will be.
- Warforged Guardian: (Ex): Due to their similar construction to the warforged, the Eisenmeister may apply a warforged feat to her Eisen Tiere. She may ignore requirements of being 1st level, and so they may choose body feats such as Adamantine Body, Mithral Body, Silver Tracery, Cold Iron Tracery, etc. They may not choose Second Slam or Improved Resiliency. The Eisen Tiere's AC, maximum Dex, arcane spell failure, armor check penalties, and movement speeds are changed accordingly. Body feats such as Adamantine and Mithral Body do not stack, if a new body feat is picked it will replace the previous body feat, however a body feat and a tracery feat may be picked and the effects will stack. Spiked Body may be added to the Eisen Tiere with this upgrade as well.
- Harden Guardian (Ex): The Eisen Tiere gains a potent damage absorbing defense. The Eisen Tiere gains DR 1/adamantine every time she takes this upgrade. This upgrade can be taken up to 3 times, and requires 2000 gp of materials.
- Sensor Guardian (Ex): The Eisen Tiere gains blindsense out to 10 ft. Each time she takes this upgrade it gains an additional 10 ft. At level 8 and beyond, she may select this upgrade and have the Eisen Tiere gains blindsight out to 5 ft instead. Likewise, each time she takes it it gains an additional 5 ft. This upgrade can be taken up to 3 times, and requires 1000 gp of materials.
- Powerful Guardian (Ex): The Eisenmeister may improve certain aspects of the Eisen Tiere. Each time provides a +2 enchantment bonus to either strength or dexterity. This upgrade may only be taken twice, once for dexterity and once for strength, and it requires 4000 gp of materials.
Craft Eisen Kätzchen: At level 15, an Eisenmeister learns how to create massively powerful Eisen Tiere. The Eisenmeister may replace her Eisen Wölfe or Eisen Löwe with an Eisen Kätzchen. An Eisen Kätzchen is identical to an Eisen Wölfe, except it is a dire tiger instead. The Craft (clockwork) DC for an Eisen Löwe is 33, and requires 500 gp of material.
Craft Wütend Eisen Tiere: At level 20, an Eisenmeister learns how to create a tremendously powerful Eisen Tiere. The Eisenmeister may replace her Eisen Wölfe, Eisen Löwe, or Eisen Kätzchen with an Eisen Wütend Tiere. An Eisen Wütend Tiere is identical to the original Eisen Tiere, except it has +6 Str, +2 Dex, and +6 Natural Armor. The Craft (clockwork) DC for an Eisen Wütend Tiere is 39, and requires twice the price of materials that made up the original.
|21st||Inventions, Bonus Feat|
6 + Int modifier skill points per level.
Inventions: While at Epic levels, the CR on an Eisenmeister's Inventions continues to increase at the same rate.
Bonus Feats: The epic Eisenmeister gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic Eisenmeister bonus feats) every 5 levels after 21st.
Epic Eisenmeister Bonus Feat List: Craft Epic Magic Arms and Armor, SRD:Distant Shot, Craft Epic Wondrous Item, Efficient Item Creation, Epic Skill Focus, Great Dexterity, Great Intelligence, Penetrate Damage Reduction, Uncanny Accuracy.
Human Eisenmeister Starting Package
Weapons: Armbrust with Basic Upgrade Slots
Skill Selection: Pick a number of skills equal to 7 + Int modifier.
Feat: Weapon Focus (Armbrust)
Bonus Feats: Dodge
Gold: 20 gp.
Playing an Eisenmeister
Religion: <-description of how this class typically (but no exclusively) approaches religion including likely portfolios it would worship->.
Other Classes: <-How this class typically interacts with other classes and how characters of this class interact with characters of other classes->.
Combat: <-Typical role in combat->.
Advancement: <-Typical advancement options for characters with this class. Include desirable multiclass options->.
Eisenmeisters in the World
|“||[BOOM!] Hokay, so zat doss not vork... [HISSSSS!] Or zat..||”|
|—Jenka Übertakten, Human Eisenmeister|
<-Where characters of this class fit in a d20 world.->
Daily Life: <-day in the life of a character of this class->.
Notables: <-notable NPCs of this class->.
Organizations: <-info on what, where, when, and how characters of this class congregate and assemble->.
NPC Reactions: <-How NPCs react to PCs of this class->.
Characters with ranks in <-the appropriate skills-> can research <-pluralized class name-> to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|10||<-not so common knowledge->.|
|20||<-very rare information->.|
<-pluralized class name-> in the Game
<-How characters of this class fit in the game (PC and NPC) and what roles they play.->
Adaptation: <-Possible variant conceptions of this class.->.
Sample Encounter: <-DM placement for NPCs of this class.->.
EL : <-Encounter scenario and character info on sample NPC including stat block. The CR of the NPC is typically the same as the EL for the encounter.->.