Drumblack (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
|Editing:||Discuss major edits first|
|“||My rhythms shall breathe life into the cold hearts of the undead!||”|
|—Dwayne Goldgrim, dwarven Drumblack|
Drumblacks are an elite group of bards within the Church of Modroben, known for using their powerful drums to beat rhythms that can be heard - and that can have magical effects - for miles.
 Becoming a Drumblack
Drumblacks are chosen exclusively from among the ranks of the Songclaine, the Bard class of Claine. Charisma is the most important Ability Score.
|Base Attack Bonus:||+3.|
|Skills:||Performance (Any percussion) 10.|
|1st||+1||+2||+0||+2||Blackbeat 1||+1 of existing Songclaine spellcasting|
|2nd||+2||+3||+0||+3||[#Blackbeat|Blackbeat 2]]||+1 of existing Songclaine spellcasting|
|3rd||+3||+3||+1||+3||[#Blackbeat|Blackbeat 3]]||+1 of existing Songclaine spellcasting|
|4th||+4||+4||+1||+4||[#Blackbeat|Blackbeat 4]]||+1 of existing Songclaine spellcasting|
|5th||+5||+4||+1||+4||Blackbeat 5||+1 of existing Songclaine spellcasting|
|6th||+6||+5||+2||+5||[#Blackbeat|Blackbeat 6]]||+1 of existing Songclaine spellcasting|
|7th||+7||+5||+2||+5||[#Blackbeat|Blackbeat 7]]||+1 of existing Songclaine spellcasting|
|8th||+8||+6||+2||+6||[#Blackbeat|Blackbeat 8]]||+1 of existing Songclaine spellcasting|
|9th||+9||+6||+3||+6||[#Blackbeat|Blackbeat 9]]||+1 of existing Songclaine spellcasting|
|10th||+10||+7||+3||+7||[#Blackbeat|Blackbeat 10]]||+1 of existing Songclaine spellcasting|
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level)
 Class Features
Like all members of the Church of Modroben, Drumblacks are expected to be neutral in most affairs (excepting only the defense of death, time and fate). Their class features should not be used except in the manner of church business and in direct self-defense. It is very rare for Drumblack powers to be used against anyone other than undead creatures or necromancers. All of the following are class features of the Drumblack:
Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.
Spells: To cast a particular spell, you must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell's level. Your bonus spells are based on your Charisma. Saves to avoid the effects of your spells have a DC of 10 + the spell's level + your Cha bonus (if any).
Blackbeat: At first level, a Drumblack must go on a week-long Spirit Quest in which he hunts a vulture, coming home with its skin to tan. He must use the resultant skin to make a drum, of whatever kind he likes. This sacred drum is called a Blackbeat. The drum can be heard for one mile per level. The Drumblack can cast non-touch-based spells through the drum's sound and can target its magical effect on certain people, allowing him to cast spells beyond their stated range. The sound of a Blackbeat can be drowned out by loud noises, rendering any magic cast through it ineffective. The Drumblack must make a to-hit roll (using his Charisma modifier) if targeting a special person or object that he can not see.
- At second level, any allies listening to the Drumblack's rhythms gain the effect of a Protection From Undead' spell.
- At third level, the Drumblack's spells, when cast through his Blackbeat, become Cleave on Kill powers.
- At fourth level, the Drumblack can use his Blackbeat in combat. Its sound, when used in melee, does 2d4 damage (2d8 to undead). It is a +1 magical weapon.
- At fifth level, the Drumblack can target touch-based spells through his Blackbeat.
- At sixth level, the Drumblack's Blackbeat counts as a +3 magical weapon when used in combat.
- At seventh level, the Drumblack's rhythms do one point of damage per turn to any undead within range (seven miles at seventh level). Sounds produced by a Blackbeat are still Cleave-on-Kill powers.
- At eighth level, the Drumblack's Blackbeat counts as a +5 magical weapon when used in combat.
- At ninth level, the Drumblack's rhythms become Impact Cleave powers, meaning that mindless undead die within range and mindful undead get a saving throw. The Drumblack must play for one hour continuously before it has an effect, and undead who can save do so once every hour.
- At tenth level, the Drumblack's rhythms can communicate with any living soul within range (ten miles). It is not possible for the Drumblack to target the sound, so anyone (living) within range can hear. Undead can not hear the communication.