Critical Specialist (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Critical Specialists are masters of ending an opponent in a very low number of strikes, sometimes able to score kills with only a single hit. The Critical Specialist will focus on weapons that allow him to score hits without too much difficulty and have powerful effects when they do connect.
Making a Critical Specialist
Critical Specialists are strong in fights with either a single powerful opponent or a larger number of weak ones in melee combat. They are capable of cutting through groups quickly and efficiently, especially with feats like Cleave and Greater Cleave. Since most Critical Specialists will focus on melee weapons they are often weak at a range if the party is not able to protect them effectively.
Abilities: The key attributes for a Critical Specialist are Strength and Constitution. Strength provides the ability to deal even more damage to opponents and Constitution allows them to take hits easily. Dexterity can also be useful for increasing Armor Class if you do not wish to use armor.
Races: Just about any race can become a Critical Specialist. Though strong Orcs and other similar races often lack the intelligence to do anything but swing randomly.
Starting Gold: As Fighter.
Starting Age: As Fighter.
|1st||+1||+0||+2||+0||Critical Effects Bonus Feat|
|2nd||+2||+0||+3||+0||Easy Critical +1 Bonus Feat|
|5th||+5||+1||+4||+1||Specialist's Critical +1|
|6th||+6/+1||+2||+5||+2||Critical Effects Bonus Feat|
|7th||+7/+2||+2||+5||+2||Easy Critical +2|
|10th||+10/+5||+3||+7||+3||Specialist's Critical +2|
|12th||+12/+7/+2||+4||+8||+4||Easy Critical +3|
|15th||+15/+10/+5||+5||+9||+5||Impressive Critical, Specialist's Critical +3|
|17th||+17/+12/+7/+2||+5||+10||+5||Easy Critical +4|
|20th||+20/+15/+10/+5||+6||+12||+6||Masterful Critical, Specialist's Critical +4|
All of the Critical Specialist's abilities focus on improving their use of critical hits to cripple an opponent quickly and efficiently. All of the following are class features of the Critical Specialist.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Critical Specialists are Proficient with all Simple and Martial Weapons as well as Light and Medium Armor.
Critical Effects: You have unlocked a new Critical Effect. Select one from the list below. When scoring a Critical Hit select one of these effects to apply to the enemy you have hit. At Level 20 you may select 2 Effects to apply per Critical Hit.
- Bleeding Critical: Critical hits cause and additional 1d6 bleeding damage every round until the wounded character has been healed of the damage caused by the hit.
- Deadly Critical: the target you score a critical hit upon must roll a fortitude save, DC of 17 + Dexterity or Strength modifier, or die. If the save is successful, the creature instead takes an additional 3d6's of damage (this damage is not multiplied by the critical hit).
- Exhausting Critical: The target you score a Critical Hit your target becomes Exhausted.
- Frightening Critical: Foes who see your critical hits fear for their lives. Any foe with line of sight on you when you hit with this critical effect becomes frightened for 1d4+1 rounds. The creature you hit with the critical becomes Panicked.
- Inspiring Critical: Your Critical Hits inspire those who see them. Any ally with line of sight on you when you use this critical effect gets a +1 moral bonus on attacks for the next 1d4+1 rounds. This bonus stacks if used multiple times.
- Non-Lethal Critical: Your critical Hit with this effect deals nonlethal damage.
- Staggering Critical: Whenever you score a critical hit, your opponent becomes staggered for 1d4+1 rounds. A successful Fortitude save(DC 10+your base attack bonus) reduces it to only one round.
- Stunning Critical: Whenever you score a critical hit, your opponent becomes stunned for 1d4+1 rounds. A successful Fortitude save(DC 10+your base attack bonus) reduces it to only one round.
- Fumbling Critical: The target of your critical hit has it's Fumble range increased by Specialists Multiplier
Easy Critical: The Critical Specialist is extremely skilled with his preferred weapon. He has trained for years to know how exactly to score a critical hit with it. Your Critical Range on the selected weapon increases by the indicated number. The bonus from Easy Critical is not doubled with the Improved Critical Feat.
Impressive Critical: You may now apply 2 Critical Effects to successful Critical Hits
Specialit's Critical: at 5th lvl, adds 1 to chosen weapon's critical multiplier(replaces earlier critical multipliers) (Example: Longspear increases from ×3 to ×4 if tenth level, etc), incereases at tenth, fifteenth, and twentieth lvls by one
Masterful Critical: You may apply 3 Critical Effects to successful Critical Hits instead of just two.
Epic Critical Specialist
|22nd||Easy Critical +5|
|25th|| Amazing Critical
Specialist's Epic Critical ×2
|27th||Easy Critical +6|
|30th||Incomparable Critical Specialist's Epic Critical ×4|
4 + Int modifier skill points per level.
Critical Multiplier: at 25th lvl, the critical specialist now multiplies his critical multiplier by 2, increasing to 3 at 30th
Amazing Critical: You may now apply 4 Critical Effects to each successful Critical Hit.
Incomparable Critical: You may now apply 5 Critical Effects to each successful Critical Hit.
Bonus Feat: Select a Feat from the list of Epic Feats and apply it to your character.
Playing a Critical Specialist
Religion: Critical Specialist do not generally follow specific deities based on their class. They are much more likely to follow a racial religion or no religion at all.
Other Classes: Critical Specialists tend to get along well with fighters and barbarians who admire their skill with a weapon. Magic users tend to be distrusting of them.
Combat: The Critical Specialist's role in combat is to deal massive damage to opponents and debuff them with Critical Effects.
Advancement: Characters of this class should attempt to advance anything that improves the damage they can deal with critical hits.
Critical Specialists in the World
|“||Another foe has fallen before my blade.||”|
|—Malakai, Elven Critical Specialist|
Daily Life: Daily life for a Critical Specialist usually involve an adventure or quest. Their skills do not lend well to city life and they spend most of their time off on jobs.
Notables: <-notable NPCs of this class->.
Organizations: Critical Specialists have no organizations.
NPC Reactions: Critical Specialists are not visually notable unless they are seen in combat. When this happens enemies usually are filled with fear and allies with hope.