|In a matter of hours D&D Wiki be down for an extended period of time to perform necessary hardware upgrades.|
These hardware upgrades should address user's concerns including Talk:Main Page#Web Page Not Found Error and the database access times when saving, moving, and deleting pages. Please stand by.
Combine Consciousnesses (4e Ritual)
From D&D Wiki
Invoking the untapped power of the mind, you erase all artificial barriers between the participants.
|Level:||18||Component Cost:||30,000gp, plus 5000gp per participant|
|Time:||5 Hours||Key Skill:||Arcana (Special)|
This ritual is used to combine the minds of its willing participants. In this case, willing means that the participant must be willing to undergo the ritual of his or her own free will. Mind altering effects cannot be present when the target decides that he or she is willing, but mundane deceptions (such as a simple lie about what the ritual does) are fine. Any creature that does not have the Undead or Construct keyword, is within 10 levels of every participant, and has an Int score of at least 6 is a possible valid participant of this ritual. To cast the ritual, you must obtain psionic ritual paint with which to draw the ritual circle (worth no less than 30,000gp). You must also obtain a psionic trancing agent (worth no less than 5000gp per participant) for each participant to ingest at the beginning of the casting.
To begin casting, you must first draw a ritual circle with the psionic paint that is large enough to accommodate all the participants. Once the circle is drawn, all the participants must enter the circle before you begin casting. After the participants have all ingested the psionic trancing agent, you may begin casting the ritual. Note that you do not need to be a participant. Should a power or ability be used inside or into the circle or should anyone enter the circle, leave the circle, or become unwilling once the ritual has started, the ritual ends and the components are lost.
As long as the above conditions are met for the entire duration of the ritual, it automatically succeeds with no check. However, at the end of the ritual each participant must make an Arcana check. For this Arcana check, any bonuses (Power, Feat, Untyped, etc.) except Item bonuses that lasted the full 5 hour duration of the ritual may be used. Note that the DM has the final say on what is and isn't a valid bonus. Item properties, powers with a duration less than 5 hours, immediate actions, free actions, no actions, re-roll powers, and substitution powers (powers that would allow you to forgo rolling dice for a specific result) may not be used for this check. Any participant may choose to forgo rolling an Arcana check. Once everyone has rolled, tally all the Arcana checks together and then sort them from highest to lowest.
- If the highest single Arcana check result is equal to or greater than half the total Arcana check, that character is the dominant consciousness. All other participants lose their original Int, Wis, and Cha scores, and instead gain the dominant consciousness's Int, Wis, and Cha scores. In addition, all other participants lose all non-racial features (backgrounds, themes, trained skills, class levels, feats, paragon paths, and epic destinies) and instead gain the corresponding features of the dominant consciousness. They also gain the level and XP of the dominant consciousness. Lastly, all memories, emotions, and personalities of the non-dominant participants are lost; they are replaced by the dominant consciousness. The non-dominant participants cease to be, and instead are now simply part of the dominant consciousness' mind. Each non-dominant participant, while an extension of the dominant consciousness, has access to their own version of the dominant participant's features. So one participant using a daily ability does not prevent the other participants from using their own version of the daily ability.
- If the highest single Arcana check result is less than half the total Arcana check or if the highest two Arcana check results are tied, then a Hivemind is created. Each participant's Int, Wis, and Cha scores becomes the average of each among the group. So for example, if going in the scores were as follows...
- I: 8, W: 18, C16
- I: 8, W: 10, C13
- I: 12, W: 8, C10
Then the final scores for all three participants would be...
- I: 9, W: 12, C13
All participants gain all background, theme, skill training, and feat benefits of all other participants. If the targets have class levels, paragon paths, and / or epic destinies, then they are shared across all participants. What this means is that all participants may use the powers and features of the other participants freely, but in doing so it counts as one use of the power / feature. So if the power or feature was a daily for example, it could be used once by one participant and then would unusable by all participants for the rest of the day. Powers and class features that are of unlimited use, such as at-will powers or certain class features, may be used freely by all provided that all prerequisites and requirements are met upon every use. For example, two participants may both have access to a single Sneak Attack rogue class feature, but since the feature specifically says 'Once per turn', only one of them could use Sneak attack during a single turn. All participants gain the average level and XP of participants. If a participant would increase or decrease in levels due to this effect, do the following:
- If leveling up, gain xp and levels in the participant's original class as if he or she had leveled normally. You may not use anything shared from other participants as a prerequisite for anything you pick during this leveling.
- If leveling down, the participant loses levels and xp until he or she is at the average level. This may mean losing powers, features, and / or feats due to this effect.
The personalities and emotions of all personalities are combined into one new consciousness. The memories of the participants, however, fade due to the sheer volume of them. The new consciousness must pass a DC20 History check in order to recall anything that the participants knew before the ritual.
In either case, there are a multitude of new rules that apply:
- All participants have their own set of actions but still function as one entity.
- All participants are considered to share all sensory input at all times, and share one set of thoughts. Participants may share Line of Sight between each other but not Line of Effect. (This can be used to overcome all forms of concealment in some cases.)
- This ritual cannot be dispelled by any means. In addition, this ritual may never be cast on part of or an entirety of an already combined consciousness.
- Any physical traits, abilities, or powers of the participants (such as a racial regeneration effect or a dragon's breath attack) are not shared under any circumstances.
- HP, THP, and healing surges are tracked separately by each individual participant. In addition, each participant makes his or her own saving throws.
- Should one participant fall unconscious, the rest are unaffected (though the combined consciousness would know of the result and most likely be peeved).
- Should a participant die, the rest are unaffected and if the B result may continue to access the dead participant's powers and features. However, dead participants may not be resurrected or come back from the dead by any means, not even by an epic destiny feature.
- When experience would be awarded to any participant, it is evenly divided amongst all participants.
- When a combined consciousness would level, if the A option then all participants must level the exact same way. If the B option, then all living participants may gain a level as if he or she was not part of a combined consciousness (you may use anything shared from other participants as a prerequisite for anything you pick during this leveling). However, if the B option when at a feat granting level only ONE feat may be selected no matter how many participants were included in the ritual.
- If an effect would target one or more of the participants, only those participants are targeted.
- Should any participant be targeted by an effect with the Fear or Charm keyword, all participants are targeted (even if no LoS or LoE exists).