Chocobos (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Before playing a chocobo as a character, you should read the Playing Chocobos variant rule, to understand better how to play a chocobo as a player character in a campaign
Chocobos are friendly and often helpful. They defend themselves when attacked, but otherwise are docile. Adventuring Chocobos are usually questing to assist others.
Chocobos are large creatures, weighing about 300 to 400 pounds and are usually 8 to 9 and a half feet tall. They begin life will drab practically colorless feathers, but molt and gain newly colored feather when they mature. Their eyes begin the same way and then change color to match their feathers.
While most chocobos are mounts or wild animal, adventuring chocobos are no one's servant, though they are helpfulto almost anyone they meet.
Usually neutral, but often good. Chocobos are of an even temperament with an inclination for morality.
Chocobos can live anywhere, but enjoy grasslands, mountains, forests, cliffsides, and coasts the best. Any place they can find an abundance of wild greens growing is especially favorable and often have communities form around them.
Chocobos worship the Fat Chocobo.
Wark is the language of chocobos, written in the Chocobese alphabet.
Chocobos are named or are named by their trainers or owners or by their parents in wark.
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, −4 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, −2 Charisma:
- Animal: Chocobos are large, intelligent avians.
- Large: As large creatures, chocobos have –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
- Chocobos base land speed is 60 ft.
- Natural attacks: 1 Beak 1d8 (primary weapon), 2 Claws 1d6 each, 2 Wings 1d4 each
- Flightless: A chocobo cannot fly, despite its wings. They serve only to assist in balance while running and support while jumping.
- Low-light Vision
- Chocobo Jump (Ex): Chocobos are great at jumping, using their strong legs and wings to optimal effect. Because of this, chocobos gain a bonus on jump checks equal to one third of their HD (minimum 1). Chocobos may use their Dexterity modifier on jump checks instead of Strength.
- Automatic Languages: Wark.
- Favored Class: Any.
At 1 HD: All racial traits shown above.
At 5 HD: Chocobo Run (Ex): A chocobo is treated as having the Run feat. Chocobo's strong, tough legs, and gripping, scaled feet are prefect for traveling. A chocobo can travel without penalty over any solid, non-damaging surface without needing to make a balance or tumble check. Also, a Chocobo can sprint for short periods of time. It may move at twice its base land speed for one round every five minutes. This stacks with the effect of the Run feat, allowing a chocobo to move 480 feet in a single round.
At 8 HD: Color (Ex): A chocobo chooses his color at level 8, gaining abilities according to his color as described here. The color selected cannot be changed under any circumstances except through a wish or miracle spell.
Light Blue--Shallow Water Walking
Green--Low Mountain Climbing
Black--Shallow Water Walking and Low Mountain Climbing
Gold--Choco Screech and Choco Cure--Special:the benefits of this are all gained two levels later than any other color
At 10 HD: Improved Color (Ex): A chocobo gains an additional benefit from their selected color as described here.
Light Blue--Water Walking
Gold--Water Walking and Mountain Climbing--Special:the benefits of this are all gained two levels later than any other color
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|15 years||25 years||35 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||9' 2"||+2d10||315 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||8' 11"||+2d8||320 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|