Cattine Race (3.x Race)
From D&D Wiki
The rarely-seen cattine are a race of small-sized anthropomorphic cats that worship the spirits of nature. While feline in nature they do stand on 2 feet with hands similar to human hands. Covered from head to tail in fur with very distinctly feline features and coloration. They poses all of the capabilities common to most animal feline species.
Cattine personalities vary greatly from one cat to another. Overall their personality is more catlike in nature than human. They can be flighty at times, distrustful of other species. Staying to themselves they take their time learning to trust others. Cattine often stick to the shadows, avoiding wide open places where they feel exposed and possibly vulnerable.
Few cattine wear any clothing. Nudity is common among cattine as part of their animal like nature. The only cattine who regularly wear any clothing of any kind are cattine priestesses and cattine warriors who are specifically charged with the protection of the village. Cattine who spend a large amount of time around other species may wear clothing to avoid breaking any taboos other species might have about public nudity. Cattine prefer speed and maneuverability over heavy armor and clothing.
Cattine resemble 3 to 4 foot tall cat people with more cat features than human. Their fur color can vary greatly from one cattine to another. In most cases however they tend to resemble a house can in their fur color and pattern. They have large feline like ears on the top of their heads with a more feline facial structure. They have tails which are as long as half their body height. Rare as they are, some cattine are linked closer to the gig cats than house cats and their fur and some other physical features reflect this. All cattine have retractable feline claws and the distinctive feline eyes. Jump up to 5 times their own body height. All cattine are capable of purring as normal cats do.
Cattine are distrustful of any person who is not cattine as a result of a bad time in their distant past when they were nearly hunted to extinction. Distinctly predatory races and races which are much taller than they are distrusted even more.
Cattine are generally of neutral to good alignment.
Once, a long time ago, they were scattered threw out the lands of the continent of Torgesh until the time of the great hunts. An evil sorceress who had gained the ability to draw power from their sacred crystals nearly had them hunted to extinction. They survived by scattering themselves far and wide. Some cattine disappeared into magical portals their priestesses had opened in order to escape the sorceress' hunters. The cattine that remain struggle to keep alive their culture and protect what little lands and villages they have left with venomous ferocity.
Cattine worship the spirits of nature and Gyia herself. Their culture is centered around these mysterious crystals which float above their worshiping pillars. These crystals are scattered throughout the lands of Torgesh and any other area where cattine inhabit. These crystals contain great power which cattine priestesses can draw upon and command to do their will. The ruler of any village is the priestess or high priestess. The ruler of all the cattine nation and cattine is the supreme high priestess.
The cattine speak their own language known as Cattish. To the untrained or unfocused ear their speech could almost be perceived as nothing more than the sounds normal cats make. Their language is one of nature and uses the Elven alphabet as the elven language is its closest relative.
Cattine names vary greatly with no apparent symmetry.
- -1 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -1 Constitution: Cattine are quick and agile, but are more frail of body than most other creatures.
- Small: As a Small creature, a Cattine gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Cattine base land speed is 40 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A Cattine can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Racial Skills: Balance, Hide, Move Silently, Listen, Sense Motive, Tumble, Scent, and Climb are always considered class skills for buying ranks in those skills. They gain +4 skill points per level which can only be used in those skills.
- Cats Grace: Cattine are agile with quick reactions giving them a +1 to all reflex saves.
- Cats Fall: Cattine are able to right themselves given enough distance to automatically land or tumble out of a fall for reduced or no damage. Treated the same as if they had Jumped Down intentionally.
- Natural Weapons: Cattine have cat like claws on their hands and feet along with sharp teeth allowing them to use their Claws and Teeth (Bite Attack) as natural weapons. This dose NOT change the number of attacks the character gets from their class. If the class only grants the character 1 attack for their level then they only get 1 attack. They can either attack with their weapon or use one of their natural weapons. Extending and retracting their claws is a free action. Claws are slashing weapons which do 1d4 damage with a crit range of 19-20x2. Teeth (bite attack) are piercing weapons which do 1d4 damage with a crit range of 19-20x2.
- Leap of the Cat: Cattine are able to jump up to 5 times their body height naturally. This effectively reduced the Long Jump distance DC by 1/3. Example: A 3 foot cattine could make a 15 foot jump with a DC of 5. Same applies for High Jumps. Cattine are able to Hop Up onto an object as high as the Cattine's height.
- Feline Form: The ability to fully manifest their feline nature transforming them into the form of a small house cat. Physical attributes such as fur coloration, color pattern, eye color, etc are retained in their feline form. This includes any scars or permanent damage such as nicks in ears or missing body parts. This is considered their natural and true forms for spells and powers which reveal a creatures true/natural form to the caster. When in this form cattine have the ability to project their mental voice into the minds of other characters in any language the cattine knows. The range and mental sound is the same as if the cattine had spoken in their humanoid form. Cattine who have learned this ability are capable of triggering the transformation between forms at will. The ability becomes as much a part of them as breathing. Only close fitting clothing or light armor and weapons is transformed with the cattine body, becoming apart of the cattine's fur at the time of transformation. All other items, such as backpacks, remain as they are. When the cattine returns to humanoid form the items transformed with the cattine are also restored to the condition they were when they were transformed. Any items added after the cattine has taken feline form remain as they are. When the cattine reverts back to their more humanoid form the added items will remain scaling with the cattine's body. For example a collar placed around the cattine's neck while they are in feline form will still be around their neck when they shift to humanoid form, scaled upward in size accordingly. Cattine can only shift forms if there is sufficient room around them for their new form.
- Automatic Languages: Cattish and Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any appropriate to individual cat's birth place.
- Favored Class: Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|75 years||120 years||200 years||250 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3' 6"||+2d4||60 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||3' 1"||+2d4||50 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|