Bleu Naga (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Note: This race was taken from the D&D Forum with permission by the author, Dark Rhystar. The link is here
 Bleu Naga
 A few words about this race.
First, a few words on my reasons for creating this race. I have four reasons for creating it and here they are:
- I wanted a fun, new, and interesting race to play.
- I wished to create a race that possesses a snake tail instead of legs, a Naga race, with an ECL of 0. I usually play Humans and other various core races, because I like them and also because I sacrifice no class levels to play them. I've created this race to meet both these criteria as well.
- I wished to create a race without ability adjustments. Ability adjustments not only allow a race to excel at something, but also force the race to perform poorly at another thing. To me, among the core races only Humans will do well in every class (Half-Elves just didn't work out so well). Thus, I wanted this race to be devoid of ability adjustments so it could do well at whatever class the player prefers to play.
- I wished to create a race with special abilities and have it be ECL 0. Too often, people are limited to just looking at the ability scores of a race. Special abilities open up a whole new world to explore with new races and I would like to believe that a race can have special abilities and yet still be balanced. This is why each of the special abilities provides an interesting benefit yet also come with a unique disadvantage.
And those are my reasons. I hope you enjoy this new race of Bleu Naga.
Bleu Naga are marked by a curiosity streak that matches or even exceeds that of Humans. As well as curious, Bleu Naga are also kind. They make friends easily and consider all their friendships to be life-long.
 Physical Description:
Bleu Naga resemble Humans in all respects with the exception that rather than legs they possess long tails ranging from 9 to 15 feet in length. These tails feel and appear smooth but are in fact covered by tiny scales only noticeable with close observation. A Bleu Naga's tail may be any color and need not match the upper body's skin color, however the color of a Bleu Naga's tail is almost always the same as its hair color.
Due to the wide-spread knowledge of races such as the Yuan-Ti and other Naga races, Bleu Naga are often greeted with skepticism and even open hostility by other races. Given a chance, however, Bleu Naga can work well with almost any race. Of all the common races, Gnomes and, to a lesser extent, Humans are the most likely to give Bleu Naga the chance to prove their nature.
Bleu Naga lean toward good more than any other alignment. Those who tend toward law are often students of magic and of the world around them. Those who tend toward chaos often find the road more to their liking and become travellers, wanderers, and explorers.
 Bleu Naga Lands:
Bleu Naga often live in forests or woodsy areas. Though preferring to live above ground, their living conditions are often dictated by their standing with nearby races. When near races which the bleu naga consider to be a threat to their safety, they will craft dwellings either partially or entirely underground often connected with tunnels. Careful construction and clever use of magic ensures that an accidental discovery of their land is a veritable impossibility. Those Bleu Naga on good terms with nearby races, however, will gladly create above ground villages.
Unlike members of other races, Bleu Naga do not have a chief racial deity. Boccob, the patron of magic, as well as the Empowerer aspect of Shekinester are the most commonly worshipped deities of the Bleu Naga.
Bleu Naga speak Common. As they possess no unique language of their own, they typically learn other languages as well, including obscure ones.
Bleu Naga who take up the mantle of adventurer are often among the most curious of their race usually seeking to learn more about the world around them.
 Racial Traits and Mechanics
- Creature Type: Monstrous Humanoid. The Bleu Naga is unaffected by spells or abilities that affect humanoids, such as Hold Person and Charm Person, but affected by Hold Monster, etc. Unlike most Monstrous Humanoids, the Bleu Naga gains Hit Dice, Attack Bonus, Saves, Skill Points, and weapon and armor proficiencies according to whatever class or classes it takes.
- Medium: As medium creatures, Bleu Naga have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Bleu Naga base land speed is 30 feet.
- +2 racial bonus to balance and grapple checks. Due to possession of a tail instead of legs, Bleu Naga are very well-balanced and extremely adept at grappling opponents and avoiding becoming grappled themselves.
- Darkvision: Bleu Naga can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Bleu Naga can function just fine with no light at all.
- Stability: Bleu Naga are exceptionally stable thanks to their tail. A Bleu Naga gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Cannot Jump: Bleu Naga lack legs and their tails make conventional jumping impossible.
- Soft Scales: Bleu Naga possess a light scale coating along the length of their tails and while these scales are not well-suited as a defense against all weapons, they do provide a +1 natural armor bonus against bludgeoning weapons.
- Stretch: A Bleu Naga may choose to occupy a single 5 foot square or two adjacent squares. Though occupying two squares, the Bleu Naga may only choose one to threaten from. The Bleu Naga may change which square she threatens from as a swift action, however a move action is required to change the squares currently occupied.
- Compact: A Bleu Naga may be treated as one size smaller than her current size when attempting to enter a confined space, however she is treated as being prone while doing so.
- Tail Wrap: A Bleu Naga may choose to coil herself around an inanimate object within 15 feet of her current position as a move action. While coiled around this object, she is unable to move, cannot be tripped, and gains an additional +4 bonus to balance checks. Uncoiling herself from the object is a move-equivalent action.
- Tail Stand: A Bleu Naga may take a move-equivalent action to rise as high as 15 feet into the air upon her tail. This action does not provoke an Attack of Opportunity. While standing in this manner, the Bleu Naga gains a +2 bonus to Spot checks and threatens all enemies within 15 feet, however she does not benefit from her Stability ability. Making any sort of melee attack, including an Attack of Opportunity, while performing a Tail Stand results in a Bleu Lunge. A Bleu Naga may not use her Stretch ability to occupy two squares while performing a Tail Stand.
- Bleu Lunge: A Bleu Lunge is a single melee attack that is treated as a Charge, is counted as coming from the Bleu Naga's current location for the purpose of determining flanking bonuses, and places the Bleu Naga adjacent to the enemy target afterwards. A Bleu Lunge may only be done while performing a Tail Stand, and doing so ends the Tail Stand. If an enemy target has no unoccupied adjacent spaces, a Bleu Lunge may not be performed against it. A Bleu Lunge may also be used to place the Naga into any square she currently threatens rather than as an attack. Obstacles 5 feet high or lower between a Bleu Naga and her target square or opponent are ignored in a Bleu Lunge.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). The Bleu Naga display an amazing natural aptitude at learning other languages.
- Favored Class: Wizard. A multiclassed Bleu Naga's wizard class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience penalty for multiclassing. Wizardry comes easily to Bleu Naga.
 Last notes
What would be helpful from the reader? Feedback, of course.
- If you like it, play it and have fun with it.
- If you don't like it, tell me why.
- If you think it's under/over-powered, tell me why and suggest a way to fix it.
PS: Yes, I have made the word Naga both singular and plural. If that is the most problematic part of this race, then I think it's off to a good start. :)
Edit 1: Clarified racial type and reworded Bleu Lunge.