Blackscail Lizzardfolk (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Preferring to inhabit the bogs and the deadly jungles in tropical climates or icy wastes of the arctic regions, these dark-scaled lizardfolk are well adapted to their semi aquatic or frozen wastes life styles. They are notorious for fiercely guarding their territories, and swiftly waging war on anyone or anything that dare tamper with their hunting grounds.
Like their smaller cousins, blackscale lizardfolk are primitive reptilian humanoids that can be very dangerous if provoked. Blackscale lizardfolk are proud and ﬁerce ﬁghters,concerned with heroic action and personal glory. Left on their own, they will fight as disorganized individuals, but their leaders can force them to work together for short periods of time. The blackscales have little patience for tricks and traps, considering such tools to be the trade of lesser lizardfolk. They are also well known for fiercely guarding their territories and willing to go to full scale war on a moments notice if any other army is to ever encroach on their territories. Due to this savage behavior trade is seldom had, and normally initiated by the Blackscale tribes towards outsiders.
Like their smaller cousins, blackscale lizardfolk are primitive reptilian humanoids that can be very dangerous if provoked. A blackscale lizardfolk is usually 8-1/2 to 9-1/2 feet tall, and weighs about 600 - 800 pounds. Its tail is 4 to 5 feet long. Alpha males are capable of reaching even greater size and physical prowess. These beasts can reach 12 feet tall and weight up to 1000 pounds, its tail is 6-1/2 to 8 feet long. Their trademark sign besides the increased size is the red neck that flairs when agitated.
Blackscale Lizardfolk tend to keep to themselves, but of course they will do trade when in need of supplies or if given contracts to navigate others through the unforgiving swamps. Most people think of them as savages,for this reason most tend not to trust them or their fiery temper. Although most races are very uneasy of these creatures, they have been repeatedly called on to help defend allies that trade the most valuable supplies or offer the greatest coin.
A normal specimen will hold a Chaotic Neutral alignment. Most can sway from good to evil depending on the tribe.
The Blackscale Lizardfolk live in swampy, marsh like regions or tundra wastes. Master of blending into the environment, they relish the hunt and normally do so over large territories of land and water.
The Blackscale Lizardfolk are known to worship gods of War and Nature.
The Blackscale Lizardfolk are raised to learn Draconic, although in some cases they learn to pick up Common to deal with humans and other trespassers.
Lizardfolk names are invariably Draconic nouns.
The Blackscale Lizardfolk have the following racial traits:
- Type: Humanoid (Reptilian)
- Ability Score Adjustments: +10 str, +10 con, +5 dex
- Size: Large
- Speed: Base land speed is 50 feet. / Base swim speed is 100 feet.
- Natural Armor: A Blackscale's scaly skin provides it with a +7 natural armor bonus to its Armor Class.
- Tail: A Blackscale Lizardfolk's long tail gives it exceptional balance,granting it great jumping skill and helps propel it through the water, a Blackscale Lizardfolk gains a +5 racial bonus on all Balance, Swim and Jump checks.
- Camouflage: Blackscale Lizardfolk rough scale pattern and dark coloring give them a +2 to Hide checks in swampy environments.
- Awkward Build: Due to their tails and bumpy, scaly bodies, blackscales must have armor custom made at an increased cost of 50% (including the cost of masterwork armor.)
- Languages: Common and Draconic. Bonus languages: Aquan, Orcish and Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Barbarian
- Level Adjustment: +3
|Blackscale Racial Class|
|1||+4||+4||+2||+2||Natural Weapons, +7 Natural Armor, Immunities|
|2||+6||+5||+3||+3||Hold Breath, Acid Resistance 2|
|3||+8||+6||+4||+4||Acid, +10 Natural Armor|
|4||+10||+7||+5||+5||+4 Str, Acid Resistance 5|
Hit Die: d12
Skill points at 1st Character level: (4 + Int bonus) x 4
Skill points at higher levels: 4 + Int bonus
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str) Spot (Wis) And Move Silently (Dex)
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Lizardfolk are proficient with all simple weapons and shields.
- Natural Weapons: A 1st level Blackscale Lizardfolk can attack with its natural weapons, 2 claws (1d8+6) and a bite (2d6+6) as a secondary attack. The lizardfolk also qualifies for the multi-attack feat.
- Immunities: Due to the numerous toxic creatures and conditions Blackscale Lizardfolk encounter in their normal habitat, they develop a resistance in the form of immunity to poison and cold effects.
- Hold Breath (Ex): At 2nd level, a Blackscale Lizardfolk gains the ability to hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to five times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
- Acid Resistance: Whether as a result of their distant draconic heritage or simply a means of coping with the species' own corrosive saliva, Blackscale Lizardfolk develop a resistance to acid which increases at 3rd level.
- Acid: At 3rd level, a Blackscale Lizardfolk ravenous stomach produces so much acid that its bite even becomes caustic, doing an additional 1d8 acid damage. In addition, as a standard action, these lizardfolk can spray this acid to a range of ten feet. If the target fails a Ref save, he takes 1d8 damage and receives a -2 to Attack, Spot and Search checks as the burning liquid impairs his vision. The DC of the save is 15 + 1/2 Racial Hit Dice + Con bonus of the lizardfolk.
- Ability Score Increase: At 4th level, a Blackscale Lizardfolk increases its Strength score by 4 points. This is a permanent ability improvement.
Example Monster Template
Large Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian)
Hit Dice: D12 [4d12+30] 64hp
Speed: 50 feet. / Swim 100 feet.
Armor Class: 16 (–1 size, +7 natural), touch 9, ﬂat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d8+6) or greatclub +7 melee(2d8+6) or javelin +7 ranged (1d8+4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +7 melee (1d8+6) and bite +7 melee(2d6+6) or greatclub +7 melee (2d8+6) and bite +7 melee(2d6+6) or javelin +7 ranged (1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid Splash (10ft range) +5 ranged (1d8 acid dmg.)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., hold breath, immunity to acid and cold
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 15, Con 20, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +10, Jump +12, Spot +7, Swim +10
Feats: Multiattack, Power Attack
Environment: Temperate forests / Tropical Jungles / Arctic Tundra
Organization: Solitary, gang (2–3), band (3–6 plus 1 leader of 3rd–6th level), or tribe (20–40 plus 50% noncombatants plus 2 lieutenants of 3rd–6th level and 1 leader of 4th–10th level)
Challenge Rating: 7
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +3