Bender of the Sanguine (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
|Status:||To Be Finished|
|Editing:||Please put edits on the Talk Page|
- 1 Bender of the Sanguine
Bender of the Sanguine
These rare masters of the element of blood have a naturally attuned ability to make blood move as if it were an extension of its body. This opens up many possibilities in combat as well as supportive skills and talents. Blood Benders depend on blood for all of their abilities and are thus powerless without it. To make up for this, blood benders keep with them at all times an ever increasing amount of specially attuned blood that is easier than normal blood to control.
Benders of the Sanguine are also known as Blood Bender's.
Making a Blood Bender
Blood benders are versatile technicians able to affect nearly the whole battlefield from any one position. While far away, a Blood Benders can focus completely on offensive power. If a Blood Bender instead wishes to wade directly into the fray it can rely on its defensive techniques to make up for its naturally low AC. A blood bender greatest downfall, though, is that it has low saves and needs to have blood on hand to use there powers. But if an enemy gets caught up in the Blood Benders attuned blood, they will soon be slashed to shreds.
Abilities: Cha is the most important thing a blood bender could have. This is because they use there own presence and ego to control blood. Afterwords a blood bender can be taken in many directions. Intelligence is good for a skill-based blood bender. Dexterity would help with the blood benders low AC. Constitution, wis, and strength don't do much for a blood bender at all.
Races: Any Sentient race that has a circulatory System can become a Bender of the Sanguine.
Alignment: Blood Benders are normally chaotic and head towards evil more than good. This is because they are normally sadistic individuals which enjoy inflicting pain.
Starting Gold: 2d10 x 10 gp, around 110 gp
Starting Age: Simple
|Saving Throws||Special||Technique Points||Techniques Known||Highest Level Technique Usable|
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+2||Legion of Blood, Bloody Hands, Attuned Blood, Bloody Jar||1||1||1|
All of the following are class features of the Bender of the Sanguine.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Blood Benders completely depend on their blood techniques to protect themselves in combat and for offense. As such, they have no weapon or armor proficiencies.
Technique Points/Encounter: A Blood Benders ability to use techniques is limited by the technique points he has available. His base allotment of technique points that he can use per encounter is given on Table: The Bender of the Sanguine. In addition, he receives bonus technique points per day if he has a high charisma score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Technique Points ). His race may also provide bonus technique points per encounter, as may certain feats and items.
Highest Level Technique Usable: This column shows the highest level technique a Blood Bender may use at each level. To learn or use a technique, a Blood Bender must have a charisma score of at least 10 + the technique's level.
Techniques Known: Blood Benders spend time figuring out new tricks to use with their blood. As such, Blood Benders choose their techniques from the list below and gain new techniques to use each level. Save DC's are based on charisma. See Table: The Bender of the Sanguine for the highest level technique that can be used by a Blood Bender as well as the number of technique points available at the start of each day.
Sandbender's choose their techniques from the following list :
Legion of Blood: The Blood Bender is so skilled at multi-tasking (seeing as a Blood Bender needs to control thousands of individual drops at once) that instead of being a Con based skill, Concentration is a Cha based skill. This means you add your Cha modifier to your Concentration for Concentration checks, instead of Wis.
Bloody Hands: A Blood Bender has the ability to drawout the blood of creatures. This is normally used to create attuned blood by drawing forth the blood from the veins of a Creature. This may either be used as a touch attack to deal 1d6 damage to anything that has a circulatory system. They can also use this power on themselves, dealing 1d4 damage (This damage can't be reduced by any means).
Each use draws out a Gallon of blood.
Attuned Blood: Blood Benders always carry a certain amount of blood with them called attuned blood. This is blood made by the Blood Bender by using Bloody Hands on a creature for 1d10 turns or using Bloody hands until you have 8 gallons of blood. This process creates a cubic foot of blood (roughly 60 pounds of blood). A Blood Bender may have 2 cubic feet of attuned blood per level in the Bender of the Sanguine class. Any additional attuned blood made causes the oldest attuned blood to revert to normal blood. Because of the length of details that are required for describing the uses of attuned blood, it has been made into a wondrous item with its own page.
Attuned blood can move at a rate equal to a Bender of the Sanguine's Class level * 5ft per round.
The range on a Blood Benderstechnique determines how far away the Blood Bender can use that technique on his attuned blood. All the attuned blood required must be within the technique's range. The target for each technique must be within the range of the technique as well. If any attuned blood leaves the range of the technique then the technique ends.
Bloody Jar: At 1st level a Blood Bender keeps all his Attuned Blood inside himself when it isn't used (No matter the amount of blood attuned). With a swift action you can make any attuned blood within 5ft radius return to your body. With a standard action, this radius increases to 30ft. With a move action, 60ft. With a full round action you can draw in all blood within 100ft.
You can draw blood out of you similarly. As a standard action you can draw out 1 cubic foot of attuned blood which appears within 1/2 your level (Rounded Down) times 5 feet away from you. With a move action you can draw out 3 cubic feet of attuned blood. With a full round action you can draw out 5 cubic feet of attuned blood. With three consecutive Full Round Actions you can draw out all your attuned blood.
Natural Techniques: Some technicians have such an affinity for what they manipulate through their techniques that they gain some natural abilities. The Blood Bender is one such technician. Every 3 levels, the character chooses one of the following abilities that can be used as described in their text:
- Bloody Dodge: When this technique is taken, the bloodbender learns how they can use their telekinetic and transmutative powers over blood to keep themselves safe: they take unconsciously focus a roving area of the blood within their body, ready to jerk themselves out of harm's way on a moment's notice or harden the blood in the area in question to deflect incoming attacks. While the shield is active, the bloodbender gains a +2 dodge bonus to AC, and a +1 bonus to Reflex saves/5 levels in the class.
This technique is automatically activated at the beginning of the bender's first turn in an encounter. If an attack breaks through their defenses and the bloodbender's focus is interrupted (an attack beats his AC or he fails a Reflex or Fortitude save), the Bloody Dodge goes away until the bender takes a swift action to reactivate it.
Each additional time this technique is taken, the dodge bonus to AC increases by +2, and the bonuses to Reflex and Fortitude saves are both increased by +1. Additionally, the bloody dodge no longer dissipates after the bender is damaged by an attack. Instead, the bonuses it provides are all decreased by 1 and the bloody dodge isn't eliminated until the bonuses reach 0. At the beginning of a bender's turn, if the bonuses are below their maximum but not yet 0 (the sanguine shield is damaged still intact), the bonuses regenerate by 1 (and obviously will not go above their maximum value).
- Boil the Blood: When this ability is taken, the Bloodbender gains the ability to influence the blood within his foes. With a ranged touch attack, he may target one foe within close range he has line of effect to. If the attack hits, the target must make a fortitude against the bloodbender's save DC. On a successful save, the target is sickened (-2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks) until the end of its next turn. On a failed save, the target is nauseated (unable to attack, concentrate, or otherwise perform actions that require serious attention) for 1 round/5 levels in the class.
By taking this technique again, the bloodbender grows more skilled at stirring up his foes. The bender may spend a full round action to target 1 additional foe with the unbalancing ranged touch attack for each rank in this technique after the first (additionally, each enemy targeted beyond the first confers a -1 penalty to each attack roll made as a part of the full action). His skill against single enemies is likewise enhanced -when he uses the standard action option to target a single enemy, he gains a +1 bonus to the attack roll and save DC for each rank the bender has in this technique beyond the first.
- Veins of Steel: When this ability is taken, the Bloodbender gains better control over the iron in the blood. The bloodbender now can convert his atuned blood into weapons and armor. As a swift action a bloodbender can turn atuned blood with 5ft into a weapon, which is made of metal. This functions as a normal weapon of its kind. It can reverted back into blood as a free action. Atuned blood can also be converted into armor as a move action. This functions as normal armor of its kind. It can be converted back into blood as a free action. The weapons and armor the blood is formed into must be made of metal. The Bloodbender is automatically proficient with this blood weapon or armor. Also if the blood bender has higher Dexterity than Strength, then they are classes as having the Weapon Finesse feat while using the blood weapon.
By taking this technique again, the bloodbender gains more control and can make the blood harder and sharper than before. Each time it is choosen again an object created by this ability wil get a +1 enchantment upon it.
- Draw forth Essence: Upon taking this ability, the bloodbender can touch a creature's flesh and cause it to obey his painful biddings: spontaneous cuts across the arm, tender bruises across the ribcage, deep piercings from inside the gut- not only are all three possible, they're some of the most common attacks employed by melee-oriented practitioner of the sanguine arts. By spending a swift action to coax the blood from his opponent's body, the bender sets his foe up for massive damage. The bender can make a melee touch attack using his Charisma in place of his Strength or Dexterity to hit (if his Charisma is higher) with an unarmed attack (Or weapon if he is wielding a weapon created by the Veins of Steel abiltity) holds against a foe with a Constitution score. In addition to the weapon's normal damage, this touch attack deals 1d10 damage of the slashing damage for every 4 class levels the binder has. If any die in the damage roll lands on a 1, reroll it until it is no longer a 1. In addition to this new special attack, the bender adds his current Charisma modifier to his health.
If taken again the BloodBender can use this ability at a distance. His melee touch attack may now be made as a ranged touch attack if the character so chooses and is for all other intents and purposes the same. This ranged version has a range of 30ft.
Supreme Concentration: At 8th level a sandbender may always take 10 on concentration checks in any circumstance.
Greater Control: Every 10 levels in the Blood Bender class, the Blood Bender chooses one of the greater abilities from the list below. If the Blood Bender doesn't meet the requirements, this ability simply remains dormant until the requirements are met:
- Bloody Dash:
- Prerequisite: Chose Bloody Dodge three times for Natural Techniques.
- Benefit: When you take this ability, your telekinetic control over the blood in your body as risen to levels so high you can move your body by using your blood. As an immediate action you can you can move yourself 60ft in one direction. Also you can manipulate the blood to make you move as a mental action and thus you can move at your base land speed as a move action while paralysed.
- Sanguine Pain:
- Prerequisite: Chose Draw forth Essence twice for Natural Techniques.
- Benefit: When you take this ability, you can draw out the blood of enemies in a very agresive way, through the targets pores. Once per day you can choose a target within 50ft. The target must then succeed on a fortitude save (DC is equal to your Half of your Charisma + half your Bender of the Sanguine levels) or be damaged by your charisma score + half your Bender of the Sanguine levels. The blood expelled from the targets body are also automatically as atunned.
- Wielder of the Entropic Blood:
- Prerequisite: Choose Boil the Blood twice for Natural Techniques.
- Benefit: Your attuned blood is now made to effect the bodies of others and will enter the bodies of other. If you move your attuned blood into the square of an enemy who has been damaged and lost blood (Ask your DM) you can make your blood enter the targets blood stream by the cut.
This also gives access to the following techniques that may be used only if the Bloodbender could use a technique of its level:
- Sanguine Beast:
Epic Bender of the Sanguine
|30th||Bonus Feat, Natural Techniques, Greater Control|
3 + Int modifier skill points per level.
Elven Bender of the Sanguine Starting Package
Skill Selection: Pick a number of skills equal to 4 + Int modifier.
|Concentration||4||Wis (due to class skill)||—|
Bonus Feats: Improved Technique Forming
Gear: 2 cubic feet of attuned blood, Bedroll, 10 Candles, Ink (5 oz.), Inkpen, Hooded Lantern, Oil (2 pint flask), Paper (40 sheets), Belt Pouch, Sealing Wax, Signet Ring, Small Steel Mirror, Waterskin, Winter Blanket.
Gold: 40 gp.
Playing a Blood Bender
Religion: Blood benders are not inclined to worship any deity. They simply move with the flow of nature and try to meld with the world, not trying to stick out too much from the rest of society unless absolutely necessary.
Other Classes: Any class is acceptable to a Blood Bender for they simply go with the flow. As long as their allies don't get in his way, the Blood bender is fine with whomever he is with. This goes for all but other Bloodbender. There is a certain disconcerting feeling when you don't know whether you're actually controlling your blood or if it's about to slice you.
Combat: Blood Benders typically stay medium range from opponents. Their large number of offenisve skills allow them to move into combat if needed to help support an ally or get one out of danger but other than that they remain immobile, outside of combat in order to better control their sanguine allies.
Advancement: A Blood bender wishes to further his control over blood and thus usually sticks to the Bender of the Sanguine class. But, depending on which attributes you increased, it may be beneficial to multiclass into another casting class such as sorcerer to amplify your usefulness outside of combat as well as in. (4 short prestige classes will be in the works for this class shortly)
Blood Benders in the World
Rarely staying in one place for long times, Blood Bender are found all over. They will try to find capable companions to keep them company for traveling alone is a lonely thing. But some very few, and very powerful, Blood Benders have settled down and quickly taken seats of power where they have due to their great powers. But no matter what a Blood bender is doing, he will always have a longing for travel and adventure.
Daily Life: Blood Benders like to keep moving, but don't like to move quickly. Some will stay in a town for no more than a day before feeling the need to keep moving. During their spare time, though, a Blood Benders enjoys watching how events unfold and the final result. They also seem amazingly attached to there family, none know why this but if you ask a Blood Bender they will probably reply "Blood is thicker than Water".
Notables: (To Be Finished)
Organizations: Their are no organizations as they dislike being near each other.
NPC Reactions: Those who meet a Blood Bender are normally afraid. Barely anyone can see a non-violent approach to using there powers and are fearfull that they might be used as materials for their wicked ways.
Blood Benders Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Technicians) can research Blood Benders to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||Benders of the Sanguine manipulate a type of blood called attuned blood that is capable of great feats of power.|
|10||Attuned Blood is normally made from the blood of the bender but sometimes it is made using others blood.|
|15||Blood Benders rarely stay in any one location for very long, often trying to make sure they aren't noticed.|
|20||Characters who get this result can know the names and locations of specific BloodBenders and items related to them including where they are most likely headed next.|
Benders Of the Sanguine in the Game
Blood Benders are rarely found in cities because of the stigma attached to their abilities. Most adventurers may come across them out in the wild where they can openly practice their abilities. If you ever see random patches of blood sprayed across a wall then a Bloodbender probably isn't far away.
EL 17: <-Encounter scenario and character info on sample NPC including stat block. The CR of the NPC is typically the same as the EL for the encounter.->.
Stat block under construction.