Archonite (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Highly organized in a caste system of society and government, the Archonites are very strict and unforgiving, abiding by their laws with fanaticism and violent fervor. Having had their society develop in the unforgiving desert, the Archonian culture quickly became a kill or be killed affair, often following a disregard for superior authority. With such a societal and political climate, hand to hand combat soon became obsolete, forcing the more creative members of the society to create weapons from the minerals beneath their feet. Eventually, through the use of weaponry, the Archonian Legion was established to create stability within the tumultuous race.
- The Archon is the individual ruler over the Archonian Legion, the title being passed down from father to son through the bloodline.
- An Interrex is a member of the caste directly below the Archon. Traditionally, the Interrex were rulers over the different parts regions of the desert; however, the title has been adapted with the Archonian's imperialistic campaigns as the Interrex now rule over each of the provinces.
- The Evocatus is a personal servant of the Archon, answering only to his orders and acting as a rogue agent for the Archon’s agenda. An Evocatus has complete authority over any and all of the other castes, including the Interrex; however, they are lower than the Interrex in rank due to the fact that an Evocatus who crosses the path of an Interrex can be killed upon Interrial authority without penalty upon the Interrex, themselves.
- Imperators are leaders of a Phalanx (group of at least ten Auxiliaries). They report to the Archon above all, but may be sent on missions by an Interrex or Evocatus.
- Decurions are leaders of an Auxiliary (group of at least five Signiferi). They report directly to their Imperator.
- Signiferi are standard soldiers of the Legion. They report to their Decurion first and foremost, although with proper reason and skill, they may be able to be elevated to the role of Evocatus at any point.
- Ingenui are non-Legion members of Archonite society, mostly comprised of artisans and blacksmiths.
- Proditare are the most hated of all Archonites. They are outcasts, traitors, and deserters, many of which are either killed or imprisoned for life.
Archonites are an extremely militaristic society, working as mercenaries or warriors for causes they see as just when not serving their Archon with full loyalty. It is this military order and sense of righteousness which drives these armored warriors to uphold their laws and sense of order against the other races of the land. In addition, the majority of Archonites who serve the Archon are power hungry and driven, sacrificing others so long as they gain prestige and power. Although they consider their laws to be the ultimate judge of good and ill across the land, the Archonian Legions are quick to break them if it furthers the Archon's goals or their own bids for power. Around every new turn is an opportunity for growth and a new source of strength.
 Physical Description
As warriors and enforcers of the law and justice, Archonites must always have a Lawful alignment; however, their sprawling empire and lust for power often leads them from Good and into either Neutral or Evil alignments.
Archonites are known to settle in the same lands of humans, acting as bounty hunters and agents of the state in larger cities.
 Racial Traits
- +2 Strength, -4 Charisma: Warriors by nature, Archonites possess a strong build and hardy disposition. Born to the sands of the desert, their only defense is their physical prowess and their natural armor. However, due to the natural state of their natural chitin being attached, they are not as quick as other races and are often intimidating due to their fearsome appearance.
- Humanoid (Armored): Although they appear perfectly human underneath their armor, Archonites cannot conceal their true nature for long.
- Medium: As Medium humanoids, Archonites have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- When unencumbered by their natural armor, Archonites have an effective base land speed of 40ft., they receive a +5 to all jump and swim checks, a +2 to Dexterity, a -2 to Constitution, and receive the benefit of the Dodge feat.
- When an Archonite's natural armor is equipped, they receive a base land speed of 20ft., a Natural Armor bonus of +5 to Armor Class, a +8 to Intimidate checks, a +2 to Constitution, and a -2 to Dexterity.
- Grow Armor (Ex): Archonites have the incredible ability to grow a natural chitin armor across their entire body. Archonites' natural armor requires no proficiency and is treated as Heavy Armor for all intents and purposes (including enchantment), save that they can still wear items on their Ring, Neck, and Waist slots, and have no limit on Dexterity bonus.
- An Archonite's natural armor regenerates over the course of 48 hours, lowering by two hours per two class levels gained to a minimum of 8 hours. Also, Archonites naturally shed their armor every 2d4 weeks. An Archonite can shed all of their armor as two full-round actions while focusing on nothing other than the shedding of the armor. During this time, they are considered flat-footed, but they do not lose their Natural Armor AC bonus until the end of the second round; if they so choose, an Archonite can indefinitely put off their natural regrowth process, so long as they spend two minutes every two hours to concentrate on blocking their armor secretions from leaving their pores.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Terran, Druidic, Celestial, Abyssal, Infernal, Elven.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- Level Adjustment: +2
 Vital Statistics
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|55 years||70 years||90 years||+4d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 5"||+2d10||155 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 10"||+2d8||110 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|