|In a matter of hours D&D Wiki be down for an extended period of time to perform necessary hardware upgrades.|
These hardware upgrades should address user's concerns including Talk:Main Page#Web Page Not Found Error and the database access times when saving, moving, and deleting pages. Please stand by.
Arcanist (D20 Modern Advanced Class)
From D&D Wiki
<dplc>Arcanist (D20 Modern Advanced Class)||- | Arcanist || NR || || In the campaign setting I'm running, there is very little magic, but the occultist class didn't fit with the flavor. Use this class if you want to be able to have a low-power magic user with a limited spell selection who must research to find their spells. || 10 || 3</dplc>
| Balance: |
Not-Rated / 10
|Please, help D&D Wiki by rating the balance of this item.|
| To see how to correctly format your rating go here.|
For more information on how D&D Wiki's Balance system works, go here.
In a campaign I created, I wanted it to be low magic, but the Occultist class didn't fit the flavor. The Arcanist is similar in power to an occultist, and must research to find new spells. Unlike the Occultist, however, once the Arcanist learns how to cast a spell, he can always cast that spell.
The fastest path into this advanced class is from the Smart hero basic class, though other paths are possible.
To qualify to become an Arcanist, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
|Rep||Def||Special||Spells per Day|
Class Skills (5 + Int modifier per level)
All of the following are class features of the Arcanist:
- Arcane Student
An Arcanist is skilled in the art of researching long lost texts, and harnessing the ancient power found within. Arcane Student is broken down into three parts: Arcane Skills, Arcane Discovery, and Arcane Mastery.
- Arcane Skills
- This feature works exactly like the Arcane Skills class feature of the Occultist.
- Arcane Discovery
- As an Arcanist gains levels, he gains access to more and more powerful spells. These spells might be in the form of an ancient tome, a greater being's true name, or knowledge of a long-lost ritual. At each level, the Arcanist gains a number of spells per level, according to the table below. The arcanist must make a research check for every spell they discover. Success means that they get to choose which spell they have found; failure means that the spell is randomly selected by the GM.
Level 0 1 2 3 4 5 Research DC 1st 5 3 — — — — 18 2nd 1 1 — — — — 20 3rd — — 3 — — — 23 4th — 1 1 — — — 25 5th — — — 3 — — 28 6th — — 1 1 — — 30 7th — 1 — — 3 — 33 8th — — — 1 1 — 35 9th — — 1 — — 3 38 10th — — — — 1 1 40
- At the GM's discretion, you may choose a spell found in another Arcanist's library without making the required research check.
- Arcane Mastery
- The Arcanist's key characteristic is the ability to cast arcane spells. He is limited to a certain number of spells of each spell level per day, according to his Arcanist class level. Determine the Arcanist’s total number of spells per day by consulting the table above.
- The Arcanist must prepare spells ahead of time by resting for 8 hours and spending 1 hour studying his library. (While most of his spells will be contained in physical books, any spell can be digitized for viewing on a computer, so the Arcanist does not need to be in his house to prepare his spells.) While studying, the Arcanist decides which spells to prepare. To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the Arcanist must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell’s level.
- An Arcanist can prepare a lower-level spell in place of a higher-level one if he desires.
- The Difficulty Class for saving throws to resist the effects of an Arcanist’s spells is 10 + the spell’s level + the Arcanist’s Intelligence modifier.
- Arcane Spells and Armor
- Bonus Feats
At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, the Occultist gets a bonus feat. The bonus feat must be selected from the following list, and the Occultist must meet all the prerequisites of the feat to select it.
- Combat Casting: gain a +4 bonus on Concentration checks used to cast while on the defensive. Minimum Arcanist level 6th.
- Spell Resistance
At 5th level, the Arcanist gains spell resistance equal to 5 + his Arcanist level. It never interferes with his own spells, and he can voluntarily lower his spell resistance at any time.