Arcane Sniper (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
Arcane Snipers can use any ranged weapon from bows and arrows to shuriken to rifles, imbuing the ammunition with devastating spells. They trade some of their spellcasting proficiency for ranged prowess. Having shunned traditional arcane studies, they are often looked askance by traditional mages. It is a theory of some arcane philosophers that the arcane sniper is a specialized prestige class derived from the gun mage that was developed by people of lesser magical aptitude in a more techno-arcane society some time in the future, that its prevalence in the lands is only increasing because of a disturbance in the timeline of the Prime material plane.
Making a Arcane Sniper
Arcane Snipers excel at ranged combat, able to strafe the enemy backlines with explosive projectiles. They are able to imbue their shots to produce wicked effects from spells they can cast. The magical community considers the arcane sniper's devil-may-care attitude and loose cannon lifestyle a mockery of the magical arts. Most Arcane Snipers are seen as the swashbucklers with a preference for ranged weapons and a touch of magical skills. Arcane Snipers work well with Fighters, Sorcerers, Rogues and Bards, who appreciate his sneaky, underhanded magical and ranged combat focus. Sorcerers, Sigilists, Warlocks, and Daggerspell casters are often interested in his Magic Shot ability. Mages, Wizards, Priest, Clerics, and other casters of Divine and Arcane disciplines are often skeptical of their abilities and look down their noses at Arcane Snipers as not being actual casters.
Spells: Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells
Skills: Knowledge (arcane) 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks, Tumble 3 ranks
Feats: Point Blank Shot
|1st||+1||+0||+2||+2||Magic Shot 1/day, Special Ability||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|3rd||+3||+1||+3||+3||Deadly Aim, Special Ability||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|4th||+4||+1||+4||+4||Magic Shot 2/day|
|5th||+5||+1||+4||+4||Power||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|7th||+7||+2||+5||+5||Magic Shot 3/day, Improved Evasion, Keen||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|9th||+9||+3||+6||+6||Special Ability||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|10th||+10||+3||+7||+7||Magic Shot 4/day, Piercing, Master Shot|
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
The Arcane Sniper’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
All of the following are class features of the Arcane Sniper.
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: An Arcane Sniper gains proficiency with all simple weapons and all ranged martial weapons.
Spellcasting: At every other odd level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an Arcane Sniper, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.
Magic Shot (Su): At level 1, the arcane sniper can use Magic Shot to entwine spells into her ranged attacks. As a full round action, an arcane sniper can cast and imbue an incomplete spell into her ranged weapon and loose the projectile at a creature. This ability allows the arcane sniper to use the weapon’s range rather than the spell’s range. When an area of effect spell-imbued projectile is loosed, the spell’s area is centered on where the projectile lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. Spells which have Reflex saves no longer allow for a save for the affected target if hit by the projectile, although spells which have Fortitude and Will saves still apply. Area effect spells like Fireball still allow Reflex saves for those not directly hit by the projectile. If the imbued projectile is not loosed in the same round it was created, the spell is lost.
Special Ability (Su): At level 1, the Arcane Sniper gains access to one of the special abilities listed below. Some may be taken repeatedly if noted in their description. At level 3 and every 3 levels afterwards he gains an additional special ability.
- Double Imbue This ability allows you to imbue two spells at once into a projectile. This expends an additional use of Magic Shot.
- Master: For each imbued spell, you may apply one Metamagic Feat you know to spell without using up a higher spell slot level. This may not be used if the imbued spells already have another Metamagic feat applied to them.
- Splash Damage Whenever you use Magic Shot, in addition to damaging the target, all creatures within a 20 ft radius must make a Reflex save or take typeless damage from the magical explosion it produces, equal to the damage done to the original target. The save DC is (10 + 1/2 class level + Int modifier). This ability cannot be used on a spell that produces an area of effect. You can choose who will be harmed by the splash damage.
- Master: The Reflex Save DC is increased by +4.
- Seeker Shot Whenever you use Magic Shot you give your shot the Seeking properties. The weapon veers toward its target, negating any miss chances that would otherwise apply, such as from concealment. (The wielder still has to aim the weapon at the right square. Arrows mistakenly shot into an empty space, for example, do not veer and hit invisible enemies, even if they are nearby.)
- Master: By expending an additional uses of Magic Shot, the projectile becomes impossible to dodge, completely negating cover and concealment.
- Counter Shot When counterspelling, you may choose to expend a Magic Shot and arrow to intercept a spell being cast and negate it. The rules for counterspells apply as normal, but you do not use any spells of your own nor are required to have that spell on hand.
- Master: When you successfully counterspell using Counter Shot, you absorb the spell into your shot which then seeks out and attacks the caster. For example if the enemy cast Polar Ray, it would absorb the Polar Ray and make the enemy caster the target, at the same DC and abilities as it has originally.
- Additional Magic Shot The number of times per day you can use Magic Shot increases by 1. This ability may be taken multiple times.
Deadly Aim (Su): At level 3, whenever the arcane sniper uses Magic Shot, she may apply half her class level as a class bonus to attack rolls.
Power (Su): At level 5, whenever the arcane sniper uses Magic Shot, she may apply half her class level as a class bonus to weapon damage.
Keen (Su): At level 7, whenever the arcane sniper uses Magic Shot, her weapon is treated as having the keen enhancement.
Piercing (Su): At level 10, whenever the arcane sniper uses Magic Shot, she may treat your arrow as a ranged touch attack by consuming a Magic Shot.
Master Shot (Su): At level 10, all of her special abilities improve to 'master shot' status.
Epic Arcane Sniper
|11th||+11||+3||+7||+7||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|13th||+13||+4||+8||+8||Magic Shot 5/day||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|15th||+15||+5||+9||+9||Bonus Feat||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|16th||+16||+5||+10||+10||Magic Shot 6/day|
|17th||+17||+5||+10||+10||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|19th||+19||+6||+11||+11||Magic Shot 7/day||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
The epic Arcane Sniper gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic Sniper Wizard feats) every three levels after 20th.
Epic Arcane Sniper Bonus Feat List
Augmented Alchemy, Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Combat Casting, Craft Epic Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Epic Rod, Craft Epic Staff, Craft Epic Wondrous Item, Efficient Item Creation, Enhance Spell, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Spellcasting, Familiar Spell, Forge Epic Ring, Ignore Material Components, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Heighten Spell, Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity, Intensify Spell, Multispell, Permanent Emanation, Scribe Epic Scroll, Spell Focus, Spell Knowledge, Spell Mastery, Spell Penetration, Spell Stowaway, Spell Opportunity, Spontaneous Spell, Tenacious Magic. In addition to the feats on this list, the wizard may select any item creation feat or metamagic feat not listed here.