Aanan (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
|This page needs an image. If you are an artist, or know of any image that would fit this page, please upload a picture and add it.|
Music is a magic of its own. Most humans can, in their short lives, only begin to scratch the surface of the magic of the soul that music represents. For the Aanan, however, magic is as simple as breathing.
Very rarely (less than once a human generation) a settlement may give birth to a son or daughter that has a very special gift, and a curse: perfect pitch and superhuman hearing, coupled with total blindness. These Aanan are born to human parents and most go unrecognized for their whole lives unless a particularly learned person encounters them, or their bardic training leads them to discover signs of their own people, their ability to perceive the world around them put down to knowledge and experience.
No one knows what causes this to occur, although many speculate it could be some form of planetouched factor. Aanan can mate with humans and the children of such a union are perfectly normal humans. These offspring do not even breed true with another Aanan. There is no family that shows any inclination towards such births, in fact written records seldom go back far enough to record a second. There is no way short of divination magic, such as commune, of telling a blind human from a Aanan.
Although it rarely comes up the plural of Aanan is Aanan, much like sheep.
Whilst one might expect a group of humans born with music in their souls to be different from normal humans. This is seldom the case. Of all of the Inhumans Aanan are the most human in their behavior.
 Physical Description
Identical to humans with the exception of their pupils, which are always a misty white. While blind, Aanan do not stumble around as other blind men do; their superhuman hearing is speculated to act as a form of echolocation, allowing them to act much in the capacity of sighted beings.
Aanan tend to get on well with other Inhumans as they are a world apart form humans. They do well with races that appreciate good music as well. Races that are loud, boorish, or crude tend to irritate or outright anger Aanan.
Despite what you may expect, a good number of Aanan are lawful as music has rules as well as emotion to it.
Aanan have no lands of their own. Occasionally a settlement of Inhumans may begin to grow but they tend to stay small.
Aanan tend to be welcomed by religions for their musical talent. They have no specific preference.
Aanan have human names
 Racial Traits
- Type: Humanoid (Human)
- Stat Bonuses: +2 Cha, Music in the Soul
- Size: Medium
- Base Land Speed: 30ft
- Blind: All Aanan are naturally blind. This can never be cured because it is not an injury or illness.
- Life rhythms: Aanan can find their way about by hearing alone. They have blind sense 240ft and blind sight 60ft.
- Perfect hearing: Aanan gain a +8 bonus on listen checks and can always take 10 on them. They also gain a +4 bonus on perform checks using music.
- Bardic soul: Aanan may ignore the Alignment restriction for the Bard class.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus languages: Any (except secret ones).
- Favored class: Bard. Non-Bard Aanan are almost unheard of.
- Level adjustment, +1, Aanan's powerful senses and increased sense of self make them stronger than many others.